Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DoctorYSG
Helper II
Helper II

Power Query is shifting time zones, how to fix?

The source datalake is sending a calander table, with days as date format, and hours in ISO with timezone (Zulu, aka GMT).
Envision.jpg
But PowerBI is reading the data with an EST time zone, so the day and the hour are not aligned. How can I fix that?

power query.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@DoctorYSG 

This video should be useful for you: https://youtu.be/0f4-R3jQWRA
More details: DateTimeZone.SwitchZone - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@DoctorYSG 

This video should be useful for you: https://youtu.be/0f4-R3jQWRA
More details: DateTimeZone.SwitchZone - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Correct, it can be done with M-Query. But I would still call this a bug, if what is arriving at PowerBI is an ISO format timestamp with a time zone (ZULU) and PowerBI is not understanding the time zone. Right?

DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@DoctorYSG you can use the DateTimeZone.SwitchZone function. Here are the steps to convert the time zone from EST to GMT. Kindly FOllow these steps:
1 - Convert the date and time values to a datetimezone value using the DateTimeZone.From function.
2 - Use the DateTimeZone.SwitchZone function to change the time zone from EST to GMT.
3 - Convert the datetimezone value back to a date and time value using the DateTimeZone.ToLocal function.

let
Source = <your data source>,
#"Converted to DateTimeZone" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Date", each DateTimeZone.From(_, "Eastern Standard Time")}}),
#"Switched Time Zone" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Converted to DateTimeZone",{{"Date", each DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(_, 0, -5)}}),
#"Converted to Local Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Switched Time Zone",{{"Date", each DateTimeZone.ToLocal(_)}})
in
#"Converted to Local Time"

The code above assumes that the date and time values are stored in a column named Date.

Ensure to replace <your data source> with the name of your data source.

You can also Watch Curbal YouTube on how to Convert UTC datetime to local time zones in Power Query
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1zquwmpnZE

Let me know if this works for you. @ me in replies, or I'll lose your thread!!!  
Note: 

If this post helps, please consider Accepting it as the solution to help others find it more quickly. OR
If my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Best Regards,
Dallas.
Best Regards,
Dallas.

Should this not be a bug report? An ISO format date/time with a Z at the end should be parsed as ZULU.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.