Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Revonda
Regular Visitor

Power BI year format and charts not showing full dates

Hi all,

I am going crazy over some small errors that have been leading to so many more!

I have created a chart and realised the x-axis was not showing all the years (2018-19 format).

I was told I had to change the x-axis type to categorical, when I tried I realised there was no option for me to do that.

Found out that the years were input as text format and that they had to be put in date format.

Tried that, but it only works if i want the graphs to show one year only (2018, instead of 2018-19).

I need to have my chart showing dates like 2018-19, or 2018-2019, but I am unable to make this happen.

Does anyone have any life saving suggestions? I saw some charts online where it seemed this was possible but could not find guides on how to do that. Please help! 😄 Thank you all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda click on 3 dots in the top right corner and change the sort by and sort order to see if that fixes it, it should be order by the column on x-axis (year)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda glad it is solved, it was hard to figure out the problem without all the details. Anyhow all is well if ends well. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

VilmarSch
Post Patron
Post Patron

Tente em "Classificar por coluna".

Sem título.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda click on 3 dots in the top right corner and change the sort by and sort order to see if that fixes it, it should be order by the column on x-axis (year)

@parry2k That did it - Thank you Parry, lifesaver! Who knew I just needed a second pair of eyes to spot that the year was not where it was supposed to be.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda I'm surely missing something here, I do see 2021/22 on the x-axis (2nd value)

@parry2k Okay, I was the one missing something! 😂 Why is it there in the first place.. no wonder I missed it. Not sure why the chart would not be in order of the table above it. Do you have any suggestions on how to amend that?

Thank you and sorry for the hassle.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda first when you reply, make sure to tag the user in the reply so they get notified. I'm not sure what you are referring to missing the data. Can you please share sample data, explaining what is missing with the screens shots. It is very hard to understand the issue you are trying to explain. Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@parry2k Thank you for the guidelines, really appreciate that.

Please see below some examples of what I have been encountering.

As you can see, from the table above the chart, the 2021/22 is missing from the chart, which shows a different graph compared to the one I had done using Excel.

The requirement would be to show the year as 2021/22 or any other format that tells me it represents two years.

If you have any tips, please let me know.

data.PNG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Revonda if you concatenate years like 2018-2019 it becomes a text and you cannot use continuous on the x-axis for text columns. Continuous only works for number or date columns.

Hey, thank you for the response. Precisely, it's what I said above. I did try changing them to date and only showing the one year (e.g. 2018 only), and that works and lets me change the x-axis type and shows all the dates in the chart. However, if I do not concatenate, the chart would be wrong as we go by financial year, so it's got to be 2018-19. And when I leave it as it is, the graph misses data.

I have seen PowerBI graphs with the same logic, showing 2018-19 as years in the graphs, but still unsure on how to do it. So will probably patiently wait for someone to figure it out while I test things out myself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.