Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerRon
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI / paginated reports: aggregation or details??

Hello,

In my opinion Power BI is a tool to steer and/or analyze you business. 
Analysis depends from which perspective(s) the end-user looks at his business.
If you ask the user if he also wants detail transactions, sometimes he says 'Yes'.
OK, but why do you need them? Answers may be different, sometimes for incident management. Which in my eyes you should not use Power BI for (better use some operational tool).

I am always a little bit reluctant in also embedding all the detail transactions in an Import dataset. We have tables with million of records, some with a billion a year. Why am I reluctant?
- Import dataset might become too big?? (We have premium capacity)

- Maybe I need to create a composite model with it's advantages but also disadvantages

- How often do they really use the details?

How are other people doing this? Are you also struggling with this? 
Or should you, when the ultimate future goal is self service BI, just dump everything in a shared dataset?

Another question:
Sometimes you see that people build some kind of a search function in a Power BI report. You can type in an account number or so and then you get a list of transactions. Isn't this more functionality for paginated reports?

Regards
Ron

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.