Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wienforth
Frequent Visitor

Power BI hiding values in table visual depending on field order

Hi everyone,

i stumbled upon a very strange behaviour in Power BI yesterday and I can`t get my head around it...

I have a table visual containing values from two different tables. 

The tables have a one to many relationship with the cross filtering set to both (this one is important as I need to keep it that way. The data model consists of more tables but as we all know Power BI gets a stroke whenever you try to use fields from different dimension tables in the same visual without having the cross filter direction set to both)

2023-10-23 15_12_58-tewm1p000071-fra-emea-taf-tbintra-net, PSM Address - 53.137.98 - __Remote.png

Now when I use fields from these two tables I get the following result. I activated "show results without data" to get the required result in the table.

Wienforth_0-1698066968296.png

Contract Key --> Table DIM_CONTRACTS

Update ContractKey --> Table q_FleetBoard 

As you see here, we have a Fleetname available. However, when I switch the UpdateContractKey and Fleetname column, the following happens 

Wienforth_1-1698067121540.png

Now to the question: 

Is this a known Bug in Power BI or am I not seeing why Power BI does not show me the Fleetname in the second screenshot?

Best regards and thanks as always!

Timo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Wienforth
Frequent Visitor

I just found this Blogpost after another search, sorry about not finding this before posting my question here... 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Order-of-Field-Selection-Changes-the-Data/td-p/709...

The article explains that this works as designed but should be changed / checked since 2019 @v-cgao-msft  do you know any updates on this?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Wienforth
Frequent Visitor

I just found this Blogpost after another search, sorry about not finding this before posting my question here... 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Order-of-Field-Selection-Changes-the-Data/td-p/709...

The article explains that this works as designed but should be changed / checked since 2019 @v-cgao-msft  do you know any updates on this?

Wienforth
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cgao-msft thank you very much for your response! I didn't know that the filter context is also determined by the order of columns in a table visual 🙂 

Im still wondering about the technical side of this effect: Why does the order of columns in the visual influence what data is presented? Does the filter context apply in columns from left to right? Is there a way to change this behaviour?

I appended an example to make it a bit clearer:

https://file.io/9sKeP05BIYMO

This is the basic example in the file, switching the columns "removes" the DIM_Name content present in the column

Wienforth_0-1698310224253.png

@v-cgao-msft the same logic applies when the cross filter relationship is set to single. I forgot to mention that just now. 

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wienforth ,

Please check if data exists in the filter context.
I recommend checking out Microsoft’s guidance on troubleshooting relationships in Power BI. It provides a comprehensive checklist and guide for common issues and their possible solutions. I hope this helps! 😊
Relationship troubleshooting guidance - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you’re still having trouble, please upload a sample file without private information. That would be helpful.
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.