Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

a_mc_st

Power BI Template Visualization Population

Hi everyone, 

I am new to Power BI and need help with something I am not sure is possible. 

I want to create a Power BI report template with a bunch of visualizations to show inventory counts, etc. for a set of data. I want to be able to use this template monthly and uplaod separate Excel documents each month into the report/template and have it repopulate the same visuals using the newly imported document data. Is there a simple way to do this/is this even possible within the current scope of Power BI? Any help is welcome, thank you !

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @a_mc_st ,

Yes, it is possible to create a Power BI report template with visualizations and use it monthly with separate Excel documents.

1. Create your Power BI report with the desired visualizations using your initial Excel data source.

2. Save the report as a Power BI template () file by going to File > Save As > Power BI Template. (.pbit file)

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop

3. Each month, when you have a new Excel document, open the Power BI template file you saved earlier. Power BI will prompt you to provide a new data source. Select your new Excel document for that month.

The report will refresh with the new data, and you can save it as a regular Power BI report () file.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

vicky_
Super User
Super User

You could probably achieve that result with the power query folder connector (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sharepoint-folder) and the relative date slicer (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-slicer-filter-date-range) to only show records from the past month. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.