Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Simple_tuition1
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Enterprise Data Gateway - Connecting with Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I haven't worked with a Data Gateway yet, so I would like to ask if it is possible to connect to On Prem Data using a Data gateway without using the Power BI Service?

I would like to embbed the visuals instead to an application. But I have to get the data somehow from on prem, which is in another network. From the microsoft documentation it's not clear for me, whether it's possible to directly connect to on prem data like an excel file if I have a Data gateway in that network installed or if I must use Power BI Service.

Thanks and best regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Simple_tuition1 , I your data source is on-premise like excel. SQL server on premise, then you need on premise gateway. You do not need that for cloud sources like one drive, SharePoint, SQL server, snowflake

Power BI Install On-Premise Gateway and configure it on service: https://youtu.be/lObMRofpbQ8

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Simple_tuition1 , I your data source is on-premise like excel. SQL server on premise, then you need on premise gateway. You do not need that for cloud sources like one drive, SharePoint, SQL server, snowflake

Power BI Install On-Premise Gateway and configure it on service: https://youtu.be/lObMRofpbQ8

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.