Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WorkHard
Helper V
Helper V

Plot each point with the same coordinate as a separate bubble

Let's say I have a table with a Project ID, Project Name, Project Type, Latitude and Longitude.

I'm displaying the legend as the Project Type and I have multiple projects that have the same exact coordinates.

Currently, the map plots all the Projects that have the same Project type with the same coordinates in one single bubble which is not the intended result. Instead, I'd like each point to represent each Project even if they are at the same location.

The only way I can achieve that is if I put the Project ID in the legend but then my legend is absolutely enormous and the map has way too many colors for each ID.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WorkHard
Helper V
Helper V

I guess if no one has a better idea, the way I currently solved it is to create a custom column and add a random number to the end of the coordinate which will force the map to plot each bubble separately. They are still basically at the same location but now I can see multiple "rings" for each Project.

DAX:

RandomizeLat = IF(len('Projects'[Latitude])>0,'Projects'[Latitude]&RANDBETWEEN(1,1000),BLANK())

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
o_belov
Advocate I
Advocate I

@WorkHardThe randomized latitude solution works fine, thanks!

WorkHard
Helper V
Helper V

I guess if no one has a better idea, the way I currently solved it is to create a custom column and add a random number to the end of the coordinate which will force the map to plot each bubble separately. They are still basically at the same location but now I can see multiple "rings" for each Project.

DAX:

RandomizeLat = IF(len('Projects'[Latitude])>0,'Projects'[Latitude]&RANDBETWEEN(1,1000),BLANK())

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

If you stop the aggregation of measures if any. right-click on the measure in visualization and use no summarization. That can create a line level data to be used.

Also, you have project id as value and Project type as legend

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods/ba-p...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

@amitchandak , I already use no summarization for Latitude and longitude and AFAIK there is no "Value" field in maps so not sure what you mean.

I was thinking maybe add some type of "noise" or approximation for each coordinate that is the same in the dataset.

say a DAX formula that detects a duplicate lat long and adds a tiny number to it to make the bubble separate but still be close to the same city.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.