Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mk60
Resolver I
Resolver I

Period over Period variance

Looking for a DAX calculation to calculate change in dollars, (variance) for Metrics 1-5 in column A, from quarter to quarter to get values in columns E and F for each metric in column A and Total as well. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Mk60_0-1712955643255.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

remove the DIVIDE part and just keep the difference part.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mk60 ,
Thanks for @lbendlin  and @lbendlin  response. Here are my additional dax expressions and examples
Sample data

vheqmsft_0-1713160891317.png

Create measures

Q2-Q3 = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[23-Sep])-SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[23-Jun])
Q3-Q4 = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[23-Dec])-SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[23-Sep])

Final output

vheqmsft_1-1713160942331.png

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Albert,

Thanks so much for your sample. I was hoping your solution was exactly what I need, but Unfortunately, I just can't make it work for me, and wonder if you could help me how to actually pick the single date in this DAX formula? I think what you have in your example as "[23-Sep]" is a Date column value in my table named "Query1". If I follow your calc I just cannot select unique date "23-Sep" since DAX is suggesting .[Month], or .[Quarter] or day. I tried to manually type it but that's not working. Maybe if I attach this picture of my column it might help you see the issue? As you can see my Date is coming from my calulated column named "Posting DATE SHORT", which I created from the existing date filed "Posting Date" in my Query1 table. Your time and willingness to help is much appreciated!

Mk60_0-1713197590850.png

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You cannot get 2 total columns (E and F) in a table/matrix visual.  You can show one 1 variance column.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please consider using the Quick Measure that was designed for this.

I looked at that but it gives me only percent, I could not find option to get dollar variance? Thanks for your note though

remove the DIVIDE part and just keep the difference part.

Hi Ibendlin, sorry for the long delay. Thank you for the suggestion, it did work. Much apprecited!

Would you mind to post the DAX calculation you are refering to, please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.