Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Elorian
Resolver I
Resolver I

Performance issue with a DAX formula

Hello,

My case is the following :

1) I have a big history table of all events occuring on the tickets of my DB, basically with the type of the event, the start date and the end date. The only event type interesting me is "EVENT_ID = 50" (to explain why it appears below).

This table is more than 1100000 lines today, about the half of which are of EVENT_ID = 50

2) I have a classical Time Table built on a day by day interval, with several info columns as usual for that kind of table and in which I have a supplementary calculated column telling if that day if a working day or not (working day = 1, non-working day = 0)

This table is 1827 lines today

What I try to do is to compute, for each event of the type 50 of the history table, the number of non-working days in between the start date and the end date of the event. To do so, I used the following formula that seems working :

+Diff_Time (days_ooo) =

VAR daysooo =
IF(
HISTORY[EVENT_ID] = 50,
CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS(_TimeTable),
FILTER(_TimeTable,
_TimeTable[Date] >= DATE(YEAR(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request]),MONTH(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request]),DAY(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request])) &&
_TimeTable[Date] <= DATE(YEAR(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),MONTH(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),DAY(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE])) &&
_TimeTable[OpenDaysFR] = 0
)
),
BLANK()
)

RETURN

IF(
HISTORY[EVENT_ID] = 50,
daysooo,
BLANK()
)

My (big) problem is that since I put that formula in place, I have super bad Power BI desktop performances, even at the opening the report. Adding a new column to the history table takes tenths of minutes, and it's taking a lot of memory (the windows SQL analyzer, apparently).

I thus assume that my request is not efficient at all and should be improved, but I don't know at all how. I tried multiple other possibilities, but it's the only one not making me run out of memory (the last version was with the condition "open day = 0" out of the FILTER, and it ran out of memory, while in the FILTER, it works (I don't know why, but it is so).

Does someone has a good idea on the Problem and how to improve the performance?

Thanks in advance,
Elorian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

The solution in itself is not correct, because your FILTER argument is not 1 expression and it creates an error.

Nevertheless, based on your idea, the following formula seems to work at least better :

+Diff_Time (days_ooo) =

VAR daysooo =

FILTER(_TimeTable,
_TimeTable[OpenDaysFR] = 0 &&
_TimeTable[Date] >= DATE(YEAR(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request]),MONTH(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request]),DAY(HISTORY[+Prev History_ChgDate per request])) &&
_TimeTable[Date] <= DATE(YEAR(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),MONTH(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),DAY(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]))
)

RETURN

IF(
HISTORY[EVENT_ID] = 50,
COUNTROWS(daysooo),
BLANK()
)

Kr,
Elorian

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Vashisth12

I have similar problem with that please can you connect and solve for me as well

speedramps
Super User
Super User

OMG ... the portal has screwed up my example data ... grhhh 😫

speedramps
Super User
Super User

removed post due to data coruption

Hi Elorian

Please confirm I have understood.

You have a historty table like this

Ticket Event_ID Startdate Enddate
1 50 01/01/2021 08/01/2021
8 60 03/01/2021 13/01/2021
12 70 05/01/2021 14/01/2021
21 50 08/01/2021 16/01/2021
28 72 17/01/2021 19/01/2021
33 73 22/01/2021 21/01/2021
39 50 31/01/2021 26/01/2021
48 75 03/02/2021 29/01/2021
54 76 10/02/2021 02/02/2021

A calnedra tbale like this

Date Working day
01/01/2021 0
02/01/2021 0
03/01/2021 0
04/01/2021 1
05/01/2021 1
06/01/2021 1

And you wnat a rpwort like this for Event-ID 50 only tickets ?

Ticket Event_ID Startdate Enddate Working days
1 50 01/01/2021 08/01/2021 4
21 50 08/01/2021 16/01/2021 5
39 50 31/01/2021 26/01/2021 10

Hi @speedramps,

In a simplify way, yes, that's that (except I don't count the working days but the non-working days).

Kr,

Elorian

So you want a report with the number of non working days per ticket. But only show event-id =50 tickets on the report???

No, not on a report... I want a calculated column with that number of non working day for all tickets with event-id 50, but with the size of tables I mentionned in my initial post. The formula I'm using (see post) is working, but apparently it ruins the performance of Power BI afterwards --> want to know if my formula is 1) correct and 2)  can be improved to not kill performances

Hi again Elorien

You can create this measure.

Then create a table visual with ticket id and the measure. Then apply a filter for event-id = 50. It should run quickly ...

Youranswer =

VAR nonworkdays =
FILTER(Calendar,
Calendar[workday] = 0,
Calender[date] >=
SELECTEDVALUE(Tickets[startdate]),
Calendar[date] <=
SELECTEDVALUE(Tickets[enddate])
)

RETURN 
COUNTROWS(nonworkdays)

I will check that formula because I don't know well the SELECTEDVALUE function. But for the 1st part, no, because this calculated column that I want will serve for a further calculation, I really need it as a calculated column, not in a visual/table visual. Thanks!

I am an unpaid power bi volunteer

Please can you click Accept As Solution to give kudos and then  raise another ticket.

Ive answered your question well. But you didnt mention it had to be a calculated field.  Thanks 

😞

Hello,

The solution in itself is not correct, because your FILTER argument is not 1 expression and it creates an error.

Nevertheless, based on your idea, the following formula seems to work at least better :

+Diff_Time (days_ooo) =

VAR daysooo =

FILTER(_TimeTable,
_TimeTable[OpenDaysFR] = 0 &&
_TimeTable[Date] <= DATE(YEAR(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),MONTH(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]),DAY(HISTORY[CHANGED_DATE]))
)

RETURN

IF(
HISTORY[EVENT_ID] = 50,
COUNTROWS(daysooo),
BLANK()
)

Kr,
Elorian

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.