Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

Parent slicer not resetting child slicer

I have two drop down slicers that I would like to act in a parent child interaction.  I have a single table with two fields which I would like to filter on.  For example, the parent is a department and the child is an employee in that department.  And an employee can only be in one department.  I select Dept A and I get 3 employees in the child slicer.  From the child slicer I select Employee 123.  Now let's say the user wants to change the first slicer to Dept C.  The child slicer now shows the 5 employees in Dept C AND still shows Employee 123, who is not in Dept C.  Employee 123 is an invalid value in the child slicer if it is in fact filtered by the parent slicer, yet it is still in the list and worse yet it is the selected item.  If the user deselects it, then it disappears from the list.

It seems that this is by desgn and has been reported internally (CRI 23743458).  Something about not wanting to change a value without the user doing it.  In SSRS, this bizarre behavior is done similarly, but if the selected value in the child parameter is no longer valid, then it resets the child parameter values.  I am not sure why Power BI does not at least apply that SSRS methodology here.

First, does anyone know of a way to get around this behavior with parent/child drop down slicers?

Second, is there any where to comment on internal reference CRI 23743458 or some place to request this behavior be changed or adapted to allow for an option to reset a child slicer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mglasser , Not very clear. But if you selected a value in child and change parent value, this will keep on showing the selected child value but the value is not considered.

If this is the issue you can log an idea.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

While I did mark the first response as a solution, I would prefer the term "working as intended" or "we feel your pain but too bad".  The "solution" in this case is to submit an idea.  This existing idea needs more upvotes.  If someone has a better idea link that has more votes already, please add it here so I can upvote that as well.

I do consider this solved from the perspective that I can stop looking for solutions because there aren't any.  Which is helpful.  Thanks.

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for the replies and the pbix example.  However, the example pbix is not mimicking my issue.  If you select Dept A you are indeed shown only 1,2,3 employees and if you select Dept C you are shown different ones.  If you select Dept A and then select employee 1, you have no way to select Dept C now.  They are filtering each other.

I guess I cannot attach a pbix file, so I will try to explain further.  A table with 4 records with two departments with two employees.  

Department      Name
Dept A              Mickey
Dept A              Minnie
Dept B              Woody
Dept B              Buzz

Parent slicer on Department and child slicer on Name, with the interactions turned off so child slicer does not filter parent slicer, so Dept A and Dept B should be available regardless of selection in Name slicer.   Select Dept A and you should see the Name slicer show Minnie and Mickey.  If you have a visual like a table you would also see Mickey and Minnie in the table as well.  Select Minnie and the table reflects only Minnie.  Now select Dept B in the parent Department slicer.  The table shows nothing now, because it is still filtering on Minnie, which is not a valid value from Dept B.  Minnie is still listed in the Name slicer.  If deselected then it disappears.  The user experience I was hoping for was for Dept B to only show Woody and Buzz and automatically deselect Minnie.

Sorry I cannot attach a pbix file.  It may be that @amitchandak is saying that what I am seeing is expected from Microsoft perspective and if I want this changed I should submit an idea.   Is that considered a solution?

Hi  @mglasser ,

After testing,yes,what suggested by @amitchandak  is  the only way to address your issue,I have tried a workaround:create a measure and try to change the result,but if a selection is already made in Child slicer,it failed.

v-kelly-msft_0-1608791734461.png

The priority of manual operation is higher than measure.

So pls create an idea via below link and add your comments there to make the slicer function more perfect.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Once you have created an idea,you could mark the reply as answered to let more people find the thread and vote your idea to accelerate the improvement of this function.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Good workaround, Thanks

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mglasser ,

Based on my test,I didnt find the same issue:

v-kelly-msft_0-1608539917797.pngv-kelly-msft_1-1608539936023.png

The parent child interaction works fine here.

You could check my pbix file attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mglasser , Not very clear. But if you selected a value in child and change parent value, this will keep on showing the selected child value but the value is not considered.

If this is the issue you can log an idea.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.