Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FireFighter1017
Advocate II
Advocate II

PBI Desktop last saved file not showing up in recent files after reboot

Hi,

I'm I the only one for who the list of recent files is not showing all of the most recent files?

Frequently, when saving new files, when I come back in Power BI Desktop after a reboot or simply after closing the file, I can't see it in the list of recent files.  I have to find it in Windows File explorer to open it.

After a couple of times, it looks like PBI Desktop is finally acknowledging the file and shows it in recent files.

Any idea why the newer files aren't showing up?

P.S.: I have already checked the version and I have only one version of PBI Desktop installed.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
metoo
Frequent Visitor

Also having this issue, and only happpened after upgrading to a new lap top. Very frustrating to have to manually navigate to locations to find files I have been working on. 

I am having this same issue.  I just got a new work laptop and that "pin" feature from your recent files is no longer available like you can in excel and word...etc

FireFighter1017
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ok, there seems to be some confusion around what is the issue.

Let's say I download PBIX named 'A.pbix' from Power BI Service because I want to work on it.

I open the file in Power BI Desktop, do my modifications, then save it to a sharepoint online library.

Later that day, I go back into Power BI Desktop, I go in "File>Open Report" and I see my file named 'A.pbix'.

Then I go back into Power BI service and download another pbix, this one named 'B.pbix'.

I open it in Power BI Desktop, do some modifications then save it to a sharepoint online library.

Later that day, I go back into Power BI Desktop, in "File>Open Report" and all I see is my file named 'A.pbix' but no sign of file 'B.pbix'.  It may appear later, or never.  I don't know what's causing this behavior and it's really annoying because I always have to go through file explorer to open existing pbix files.

I was having this issue with Excel back when they changed the UI and I started using sharepoint libraries.  It was a mess.  Some files were there, some weren't.  I had to start pinning them so file I used frequently were at the top.

It might be the same bug here...  or not. 

Does that clarify the issue I have?

Hi, @FireFighter1017 

This is really weird.

You can open a support ticket with MSFT to check whether there is an issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @FireFighter1017 

If you can't find them in the navigation interface, you can go to 'File' ->'Open report'  to find the recently saved pbix file.
13.png

12.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Please read my question again.

I know where to find recent files.  That is exactly the feature I'm targeting with this issue.

Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Maybe the recent list only refreshes when you open a file. Thus, saving a new one, even working on it for a while and resaving, does not help until you actually go and open it via Power BI.

I use git repo myself so I do not save ie. version numbers and thus do not run into this issue very often.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.