Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JimJim
Post Patron
Post Patron

Omit filter from drill through

Hi Guys,

I have created a test report agreements.pbix, which includes a summary page and a drill through page.

I am trying and failing to drill through from the summary page and carry forward all filters except product. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-zhouwen-msft , thank you for your reply.

I am trying to find a way that gives the best user experience and would prefer to avoid asking the user to filter the summary page and then apply the same filters (except product) to the drill through page.

In the end I found another solution:

I referenced the fact table and connected it to all dimesions except the product table, I then used the referenced table in my drill through page which is not filtered by the product dimension. The downside of this approach is that I can't drill through on the measure and instead need to drill through on my dimensions, but I think it gives me the outcome that is best for user experience.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @johnbasha33 ,thanks for the quick reply, I'll add further.

Hi @JimJim ,

Regarding your question, perhaps you can turn off the 'Keep all filters' option and then set the filter in the drilldown field on the drilldown page.

vzhouwenmsft_2-1714116782248.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1714116817638.png

Best Regards,
Wenbin Zhou
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhouwen-msft , thank you for your reply.

I am trying to find a way that gives the best user experience and would prefer to avoid asking the user to filter the summary page and then apply the same filters (except product) to the drill through page.

In the end I found another solution:

I referenced the fact table and connected it to all dimesions except the product table, I then used the referenced table in my drill through page which is not filtered by the product dimension. The downside of this approach is that I can't drill through on the measure and instead need to drill through on my dimensions, but I think it gives me the outcome that is best for user experience.

johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@JimJim 

Yes, it's possible to drill through from the summary page to the drill-through page while carrying forward all filters except for a specific one, such as the product filter. Here's how you can achieve this:

1. **Create Drill-through Filters**:
- Ensure that your drill-through page is set up to accept filters from the summary page. You can do this by configuring the drill-through filters in Power BI Desktop.
- Go to the drill-through page.
- In the Fields pane, right-click on the field you want to use for filtering (except for the product field) and select "Drill-through Filter."
- Make sure the field is enabled for drill-through.

2. **Remove Product Filter**:
- Before navigating to the drill-through page, remove the product filter from the visual or report level on the summary page. This ensures that the product filter won't be carried forward.

3. **Drill Through**:
- Now, when you drill through from the summary page to the drill-through page, all filters except for the product filter will be carried forward.

4. **Reapply Filters** (Optional):
- If you need the product filter to be applied again after navigating to the drill-through page, you can do so manually on the drill-through page.

By following these steps, you can achieve the desired behavior of drilling through from the summary page to the drill-through page while excluding the product filter from being carried forward. This allows you to maintain the context of the other filters applied on the summary page.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Hi @johnbasha33 , thanks for replying. 

Re #2, unfortunately I am unable to remove the product filter from the summary page. A product must always be selected (apologies I didn't set my test report up like this)

johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@JimJim 

If you're unable to remove the product filter from the summary page because a product must always be selected, we can adjust the approach slightly. Here's how you can handle the scenario:

1. Create Drill-through Filters:

• Configure the drill-through filters in Power BI Desktop for the drill-through page as mentioned before.
  2. Create a Dummy Product Filter:

• On the summary page, create a dummy slicer or filter for the product field. This could be a slicer with all product options available, but defaulting to a specific product or allowing multiple selections.
    • Ensure that this dummy filter is always selected or defaults to a specific product.
  3. Drill Through:

• Navigate from the summary page to the drill-through page using the drill-through action.
  4. Maintain Other Filters:

• Since the dummy product filter is always selected, it won't affect the drill-through action, and all other filters except the product filter will be carried forward to the drill-through page.
  5. Adjust Drill-through Page Layout (Optional):

• On the drill-through page, you can choose to hide or disable the dummy product filter slicer to avoid confusion.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Sorry, I'm not following. I'm unsure what the purpose of a dummy product slicer is when I already have an actual product slicer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.