Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Emmy66
Helper IV
Helper IV

Non interaction of Charts & Cards

I am new to PBI. I am currently struggling to understand the reason behind this but I can’t. It will be highly appreciated if someone can help me figure out why. Please see below.

My expected result is for the charts and cards to change once I click on any of the charts in the diagram below but unfortunately it does not. There is no interaction between the charts and the cards when I click on any of the charts. It appears it only changes if for example I add a table with a dimension e.g. companyName, total objects, then the charts and the cards will change once I click on either companyname or total object field in the table.

Relationship – User 1:*Object Join user.uid=object.user_id

User

companyName

department

Jobrole

uid

Object

User_id

objecttype.uid

Object_id

Target_date

Source

Below is my formula

VAR Selecteddate = SELECTEDVALUE(Dates[Date])

RETURN

CALCULATE(

COUNT(Object[object_id]),

FILTER(Object,Object[Source] ="ob" && Object[target_date] >= Selecteddate)

)

Emmy66_0-1605092174519.png

Sample data for Object table

user_id

object_uid

object_id

target_date

Source

55ddd44c8e2e3

5f63151c0093a

30/04/2021

ob

55ddd44c8e2e3

5f63152b49b84

30/04/2021

ob

5b7c1fa27295d

5b7d6425f1cb5

31/12/2020

ob

5b7c1fe892f5b

5bebf54743b6a

30/04/2021

ob

5b7c1fe892f5b

5bebf5474a309

01/05/2021

ob

5b7c1fe892f5b

5bebf54752676

30/04/2021

ob

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I think I know why. Correct me if I'm wrong but It looks like you are using two measures to create the pie chart. The intereaction between visualizations will only work between columns inside the data model. A value from a column can travel throgh a relationship and filter the connected tables for the related values and tables. The measures are calculations solved in real time inside the visualization. The measure will only return a number. It won't find the table responsable for aggregate the values to filter them.

If you are using column as legend or details and the first paragraph was not usefull, please check the interaction between the visualizations. 

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

If you add a column to the table it will filter by that column and not for the result of the measure. The measures are independant calculations that will show a number for the context in the values of the visualization. They won't filter other data.

If you want this pie to be dinamically changing and calculating the areas for the dimension for each filter, then you can't filter and get those values. In order to explain this imagen a table People. It contains a person by row. If you want a pie that shows people state like "active", "usual", "one time buy" with a calculation, you can try two thigs.
1- Create a measure for each state that will show dynamically the number of people for that state. Add the three measures and you have the pie that won't filter any other visualization. Because it's build with measures without data pointed in the model.

2- Create a new column in People's table that will calculate statically the last state for each row. Then your pie chart will have a Detail or Legend as that new column and the values would be a counter of rows. This pie will be able to filter other visualizations because it can determine in your data which row is every state. It's not calculated on the fly as a number.

Hope this make sense for your approach.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

If you add a column to the table it will filter by that column and not for the result of the measure. The measures are independant calculations that will show a number for the context in the values of the visualization. They won't filter other data.

If you want this pie to be dinamically changing and calculating the areas for the dimension for each filter, then you can't filter and get those values. In order to explain this imagen a table People. It contains a person by row. If you want a pie that shows people state like "active", "usual", "one time buy" with a calculation, you can try two thigs.
1- Create a measure for each state that will show dynamically the number of people for that state. Add the three measures and you have the pie that won't filter any other visualization. Because it's build with measures without data pointed in the model.

2- Create a new column in People's table that will calculate statically the last state for each row. Then your pie chart will have a Detail or Legend as that new column and the values would be a counter of rows. This pie will be able to filter other visualizations because it can determine in your data which row is every state. It's not calculated on the fly as a number.

Hope this make sense for your approach.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi, thanks for taking out sometime to explain this to me. Much appreciated. I will try and figure out your proposed solution, though as a newbie it might take me some time to get my head around it. 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I think I know why. Correct me if I'm wrong but It looks like you are using two measures to create the pie chart. The intereaction between visualizations will only work between columns inside the data model. A value from a column can travel throgh a relationship and filter the connected tables for the related values and tables. The measures are calculations solved in real time inside the visualization. The measure will only return a number. It won't find the table responsable for aggregate the values to filter them.

If you are using column as legend or details and the first paragraph was not usefull, please check the interaction between the visualizations. 

Hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi,

When you change visual type (Funnel instead Donut), the interaction start working, while using the same measures. 

Hi, thanks for your prompt response. I was wondering since the calculation is based on same table, it should be able to change once clicked on. In my example above, once you add a dimenison to both calculated measures, it changes both the charts and the cards. Is there a way that I can achieve my aim? Any assistance is appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.