Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pandra801

Newbie question about the Top N filter

Hi all,

Very new to this but catching on quickly. What a great product.

So, if I ask a simple question:

I have a table visual in a report that lists 200+ rows of basic sales data: Company, Product, Revenue. I want to only show the top 10 rows that have the highest Revenue values. Problem is, the Top N filter is not available in the Revenue filter dialog. I see it in other fields though.

Why is that, and how would I accomplish this simple task?

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pandra801 What you want is to use either Company or Product and set the TOP N on one of those filters. Then the Revenue goes in the "By Value" field.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pandra801,

As Eno1978 said, you should ensure the "Revenue" column is a value field, if it doesn't a value field you should change its type or use math function(such as count) to convert it.

Capture2.PNG

In addition, you can also try to use dax top n function.

Table = TOPN(10,Sheet1,[Revenue],DESC)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

v-shex-msft: Thanks for the tip, now that I think about it this likely has to be done as well. In any case, thanks for the reply - much appreciated!

@Pandra801 What you want is to use either Company or Product and set the TOP N on one of those filters. Then the Revenue goes in the "By Value" field.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Eno1978 - thank you for the reply. Makes perfect sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.