Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MyWeeLola
Helper I
Helper I

New to RLS

I have created 3 roles in the desktop application. Each role is based on a domain to search for their employees.

I can see how to enter individuals' names in the security service and apply them to a role, however in that section I want to add an email domain in there.

for example '@microsoft.com' goes to role 1

'@google.com, goes to role 2 etc

How do I achieve this

Finally, how do I add a rule for people who do not use one of the target email domain so that they get no view?

I look forward to hearing from you and getting any advice.

cheers

Lola

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MyWeeLola ,

Based on your description, and the solution provided by Miguel, I created a pbix file for your reference.

This RLS is dynamic, it will dynamically filter the table based on the current user's userprincipalname, and return the empty set when there is a user that is not in the contained domain.

vcgaomsft_0-1714704329091.png

Note that a Role RLS that has Edit or higher permissions on the semantic model will not take effect, so these users need to be assigned as Viewers.

Power BI implementation planning: Report consumer security planning - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MyWeeLola ,

For this you need to make the selection of the name and then compare the last part of the USERPRINCIPALNAME()

If you add something similar to the rule below you should get what you need:

RIGHT(USERPRINCIPALNAME(),LEN(USERPRINCIPALNAME()) - SEARCH("@", USERPRINCIPALNAME())) = "microsoft.com"

This should give you the true statment for the filtering.

MFelix_0-1714655705776.png

MFelix_1-1714655721620.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix Thank you for replying. I think that either I am misunderstanding your response or I have not entered what I need correctly

I have a table with a column which has companies, Apple, Banana and Chocolate.

I have created a role called Apple, which filters my table and only shows Apple, I've created 2 other roles, one for Banana and one for Chocolate. I did this under manage roles in the desktop version.

I have now uploaded that to my workspace and then in the security section, I want someone with the username @Apple.com  to be placed in the first security role, and so forth. The code you send me extracts the domain name in the desktop version, how do I apply that in the service? Essential, all I want is for someone with xxx@apple.com to only see the filtered Apple information or xxx@banana.com to only see the filtered banana. Does that make sense?

Thank you for being patient with my response

Lola

Hi @MyWeeLola ,

Based on your description, and the solution provided by Miguel, I created a pbix file for your reference.

This RLS is dynamic, it will dynamically filter the table based on the current user's userprincipalname, and return the empty set when there is a user that is not in the contained domain.

vcgaomsft_0-1714704329091.png

Note that a Role RLS that has Edit or higher permissions on the semantic model will not take effect, so these users need to be assigned as Viewers.

Power BI implementation planning: Report consumer security planning - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

@v-cgao-msft Thank you for the file. I kept getting this error when I ran it, however when I replaced local 1 and local 2 with numbers in the mid statement it worked. what should I amend with the vars to get them to return the number position?

MyWeeLola_0-1714991494166.png

@v-cgao-msft ignore my previous post, i modified it to use username() and the world is a happy place once more.

cheers

Hi @MyWeeLola ,

The code I have sent you is for you to place in the RLS DAX editor, because that will read each of the USERNAMES and give you the correct values.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.