Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ThomasRichard
Helper I
Helper I

New Database integration

Hi all,

I've been working on a project for a year to give daily reports. The main part of my database is Football GPS data, with a new CSV file added in my folder every day. That main dataset is quite big (more than 1000 columns), and most of my calculations use some of these columns.

I am wondering at the moment how I can continue my work with a completely new database. If I get the data from a different provider, the column names, numbers, positions will obviously be different, and I would like to know what is the best way to integrate all my work to a new database?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ThomasRichard 

Start by creating a mapping document or table that associates the column names in the current database with the column names in the new database. This will serve as a reference to ensure that all necessary data points are considered and properly aligned.

You can also leverage Power Query Editor in Power BI to transform and integrate new datasets. The Add Column from Example feature can be particularly useful. It allows you to create new columns in the data model by providing example values, which helps align the data in the new database with the existing model. For a more detailed guide on using this feature, you can refer to the official documentation here: Add columns from the sample in Power BI:

Add a column from examples in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Consider using the ETL process to transform the data in the new database to match the structure of the existing database. This can involve renaming columns, reordering sequences, or even transforming the data within them to ensure compatibility. Tools such as Microsoft Power Query provide a reliable environment for performing these transformations.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ThomasRichard 

Start by creating a mapping document or table that associates the column names in the current database with the column names in the new database. This will serve as a reference to ensure that all necessary data points are considered and properly aligned.

You can also leverage Power Query Editor in Power BI to transform and integrate new datasets. The Add Column from Example feature can be particularly useful. It allows you to create new columns in the data model by providing example values, which helps align the data in the new database with the existing model. For a more detailed guide on using this feature, you can refer to the official documentation here: Add columns from the sample in Power BI:

Add a column from examples in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Consider using the ETL process to transform the data in the new database to match the structure of the existing database. This can involve renaming columns, reordering sequences, or even transforming the data within them to ensure compatibility. Tools such as Microsoft Power Query provide a reliable environment for performing these transformations.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.