Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

New Change Detection + Direct Query BW?

Does this work?   We have several virtual cubes with queries pulling realtime data into BW.  I setup a direct query and can see data, but cannot get the Change Detection to launch the setup window and the ribbon button stays grey.  clicking Change detection on a measure  or report formatting tab does nothing.  Setting a time interval works, but I was hoping to tie this to real new sales coming in..   

thx

james

3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @james_batchelor 

About DirectQuery connections, during the initial Get Data experience, the source is selected. For relational sources, a set of tables are selected and each still define a query that logically returns a set of data. For multidimensional sources, like SAP BW, only the source is selected.

No data is imported into the Power BI store upon load. Instead, upon building a visual within Power BI Desktop, queries are sent to the underlying data source to retrieve the necessary data. The time taken to refresh the visual depends on the performance of the underlying data source.

Any changes to the underlying data aren't immediately reflected in any existing visuals. It's still necessary to refresh. The necessary queries are resent for each visual, and the visual is updated as necessary. Addtionally, you may also refer Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop .

For further information, please refer About using DirectQuery in Power BI .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

thx.   but specifically it seems a direct BW query does not allow setting up Change detection.  I can click on the menu items but the setup window never appears.  Not a real issue.. I can run by time.. but was curious to see how this feature works.

james

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.