Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GE1
Frequent Visitor

Need to get a total but ALLSELECTED or ALLEXCEPT not working

Hi

I have some data in PowerBI that looks like this (this is much simplified):

GE1_0-1714084881693.png

The entries in yellow are duplicate population counts. There are two entries for this because both Brand 1 and Brand 2 cover the same town.

What I want to be able to do is have slicers that allow the user to select the brand, town etc and get the right results. I would then calculate % Population for whatever was selected.

I can get Power BI to calculate the population for each brand like this:
Brand Population = sumx(DISTINCT('Table'[Lookup]),FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[Population],0))

...which looks for the first entry for Town1Date1 and ignores the rest. This gives Brand 1 = 30 and Brand 2 = 40. This works when brand or town filters are applied and gives the correct amount for each date.

But I cannot get it to work out the total monthly i.e. 10 + 12 = 22 (not 32) or grand total population i.e. 10 + 20 + 12 + 18 = 60 (not 70). I'd want something like:

Total Population =
CALCULATE(
sumx(DISTINCT('Table'[Lookup]),FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[Population],0)),
ALLEXCEPT ('Table', 'Table'[Date]))

...so that it ignored the Brand and Town when adding up, giving a total for the month or overall, and I can calculate %s from that. But this does not work at all - it gives the same answer for each date. I also can't use ALLSELECTED because it doesn't work with sumx.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some actual date entries in the Date column and for that dataset, show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.