Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ModelFear
Regular Visitor

Need help with DAX formula

Dear community, 

I post this question as a fresh question if it is ok. 

Below is my Sales table of various dishes :

Sales.jpg

Below is my table called Recipe, where Subtotal is the cost to make each Dish:

Recipe.jpg

Below is my model. I created a bridge table to avoid many to many relationship of Sales and Recipe tables:

Model.jpg

I am trying to calculate margin for each dish using formula of (Selling price - Subtotal/Selling price). But obviously newbie here cannot DAX very well. 

Thank you in advance for your kind help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
halfglassdarkly
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Note LOOKUPVALUE wouldn't work here either because there are multiple records per [Dish ID] in the Recipe table, so some form of aggregation is required. I've opted to sum 'Recipe'[Cost] but you could also use:

Margin = 

VAR RecipeCost = Calculate(Max('Recipe'[Subtotal]),

'Recipe'[Dish ID]=EARLIER('Sales'[Dish ID]))

RETURN

'Sales'[Selling Price per kg] - RecipeCost

Also note calculations like this as well as the Subtotal field in 'Recipe' would be good candidates for creating measures rather than calculated columns.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
halfglassdarkly
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Note LOOKUPVALUE wouldn't work here either because there are multiple records per [Dish ID] in the Recipe table, so some form of aggregation is required. I've opted to sum 'Recipe'[Cost] but you could also use:

Margin = 

VAR RecipeCost = Calculate(Max('Recipe'[Subtotal]),

RETURN

Also note calculations like this as well as the Subtotal field in 'Recipe' would be good candidates for creating measures rather than calculated columns.

Thank you so so so so much halfglassdarkly. I have been working on this table as a simple manufacturing model to take on harder manufacturing model. I cannot say how little we all know about dax formulas etc even after attending power bi courses. I tried tried to use chatgpt etc etc to no avail. This just shows that coding, programming is still important as the nuance of each model requirement is different. Thank you and so grateful. Yours sincerely, Modelfear (Lin) 

halfglassdarkly
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

As Manvishah17 has said, Related isn't going to work here. Try using something like:

Margin = 

VAR RecipeCost = Calculate(Sum('Recipe'[Cost]),

RETURN

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @ModelFear ,

The name of the fact tables are covered.  That aside, you can't use RELATED with the way your relationships are set up. RELATED works on the many side of a one to many or many to one relationship.  Both Sales and Recipe are on the many side and relationships do not flow from of any these tables to the other. They're only bridged by Bridge DishID. RELATED will not function either if used on a many to many relationship -  between Sales and Recipe, out of the many rows for say Dish ID 3001 in Recipe, which one should Sales pick? Try using LOOKUPVALUE instead.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
manvishah17
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @ModelFear , 
RELATED Dax can be use when there is direct relation btw two tables.

Refer this for more information.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/related-function-dax 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.