Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help with Data Over Time using Line Graph

Hello There,

I'm new to Power BI and I just want to graph basic sales by period for each account.

I imported an excel table with column A being the accounts, and columns B-N being periods 1-13 and the sales $ for each account by period. 

However I want to use the Periods as both the Value and the X axis, however it is forcing me to use the accounts as the x axis.

Is there an easy way to get around this without reformatting in excel? 

I greatly appreciate the help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous -

No worries. This table is not setup in a way that is helpful. I propose you should:

• 'Edit Queries' to get to the Power Query Editor.
    • You will see exactly the same table but in the Editor
  • Right-Click column [ACCOUNT]
    • Select and Click 'Unpivot Other Columns
    • You should now see 3 columns (e.g. [ACCOUNT], [Attribute], [Value]
  • [Attribute] = your period names
  • [Value] = your sales amounts
  • You will likely need to change Data Types; for your [Value] to Whole Number, Decimal, etc.; You could also change the column names at this point to something more meaningful.

@Anonymous wrote:

table excel.PNG

You'll likely encounter a sorting issue on your periods where {p1, p10, p11, p12, p13, p2, ..., p9}. It would be better if you could sort the column by a numeric value; when you get there we can assist at that point.

Your Visualizations tab should show something like:

2.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@Anonymous -

Check what the Sort is on the actual visual. Seems like the visual is set on GSV $ descending.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

You would do your data manipulation of the cross tabulated (pivoted) data in the Power Query Editor.

1.png

Something like:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("PY9BDgAhCAP/4nkPggLyFuNB/f8flrLJXhpSaCfMWfbe5SnKGjq8hlpvoSwE36DMHb4bHMG2i4dShwrBaYoGJirrmeWcg4SgzzUTFR3a0GctCSNprtnB4KslX/97tySEg9Z7L/aKDs+cViT6dzW+9MCsAkJLQn5CVv9/KP0WP6z1Ag==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [accounts = _t, #"1" = _t, #"2" = _t, #"3" = _t, #"4" = _t, #"5" = _t, #"6" = _t, #"7" = _t, #"8" = _t, #"9" = _t, #"10" = _t, #"11" = _t, #"12" = _t, #"13" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"accounts", type text}, {"1", Int64.Type}, {"2", Int64.Type}, {"3", Int64.Type}, {"4", Int64.Type}, {"5", Int64.Type}, {"6", Int64.Type}, {"7", Int64.Type}, {"8", Int64.Type}, {"9", Int64.Type}, {"10", Int64.Type}, {"11", Int64.Type}, {"12", Int64.Type}, {"13", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"accounts"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Attribute", "Period"}, {"Value", "Sales"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Period", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response! So the data currently is just in an excel table which I am uploading to Power BI.

This is the result I am getting. 

Could you elaborate a little more on your solution please? I apologize, I'm new to this and very green.

@Anonymous -

No worries. This table is not setup in a way that is helpful. I propose you should:

• 'Edit Queries' to get to the Power Query Editor.
    • You will see exactly the same table but in the Editor
  • Right-Click column [ACCOUNT]
    • Select and Click 'Unpivot Other Columns
    • You should now see 3 columns (e.g. [ACCOUNT], [Attribute], [Value]
  • [Attribute] = your period names
  • [Value] = your sales amounts
  • You will likely need to change Data Types; for your [Value] to Whole Number, Decimal, etc.; You could also change the column names at this point to something more meaningful.

@Anonymous wrote:

table excel.PNG

You'll likely encounter a sorting issue on your periods where {p1, p10, p11, p12, p13, p2, ..., p9}. It would be better if you could sort the column by a numeric value; when you get there we can assist at that point.

Your Visualizations tab should show something like:

2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @ChrisMendoza.

I now have included this data and I now want to make sure the x axis values are in the order I want. so P1-P13 in order.

I created another table and did a one to many link from my sort table, which has P1-1, P2-2 etc.

This is linked to my Table with the values. 

I then tried to use theperiod from my new table as the x axis, but it still isn't in correct order. Could you please advise on what I am missing?

exp.PNG

@Anonymous -

Check what the Sort is on the actual visual. Seems like the visual is set on GSV $ descending.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @ChrisMendoza 

Thanks for the follow up! 

Below are the screenshots. I believe I followed the process exactly as I've seen it on here but I must be m

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. thanks for the help! @ChrisMendoza 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked perfectly! Thank you for the detailed explanation. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.