Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Heena_9980400
Helper III
Helper III

Need Help on dealing historical data in Power Bi

Hi Experts,

I am working on a project where I am dealing with 10 years of historical data(there is no live data) and the reports are ad-hoc reports we are not using any measures or logic(just keeping data in a table visual with 1 filter) and how power bi will handle that huge amount of data, is there any tricks to deal with it, kindly help me on this and do the needful.

BR,

Kousar

2 REPLIES 2
Royel
Helper II
Helper II

To manage a large amount of data you could flow these guidelines:

1. Remove all unused columns from your data table.
  2. You used a slicer in the report so that I could consider you could maintain fact and dimension tables in the data model.  
  3. If possible, summarize your data. For Example, If you did some calculations in the visual like summation, count and so on do it in the backend (Power Query or SQL Query or anywhere) it will reduce lots of records and make your report lighter and faster.

If you think this idea will help you to manage your large dataset.

Then please accept the answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Heena_9980400 ,

You could start of with the use case.. If the business objective is to identify sales trend for the past 10 years. 
Then you could reduce the granularity of your data by  having  1 fact table (Sales Data) and multiple dimension tables related to the fact table. (Dimension table depends on the user requirements/ asking the user).

BR

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.