Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rushil_15
Frequent Visitor

Need Help on Matching columns from Different Tables

Hello,

So I am trying to get a column that shows if the reason in two columns both in different tables matches or not. I did many to many relationships using the IDs. Below is an example of two tables where the reason column has multiple string values and im looking if any of them match it will show as match 

Rushil_15_0-1697810012531.png

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Try this solution ..
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgMTUY3Uvq3bg8glg-ytnTIQ5iTN9Q?e=CGYbXv

How it works ....
Add a "Table" column = 1 to Table1
Add a "Table" column = 2 to Table2
Append Table1 and Table2 to new Table3

In Table3 Split Column by Delimter 
with Comma,  Each occurence, Advanced and Rows

speedramps_0-1697820710086.png

Create measures

Reasons =
CALCULATE(
    CONCATENATEX(
        DISTINCT(Table3[Reason]),
        Table3[Reason],
        ", "))
Answer =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
[Reasons] = BLANK(),"N/A",
COUNTROWS(Table3) > DISTINCTCOUNT(Table3[Reason]),"Yes",
"No")

The on a new page, drag a table visual, and drag Tabl3 ID, the Reasons measure and the Answer measure

speedramps_1-1697820932848.png

Thanks for the clear description of the problem with example data. I wish everyone did that!

Remember we are unpaid volunteers. So please click the thumbs up and the accept as solution button to leave kudos. 

If you give someone a fish then you only give them one meal, but if you teach them how to fish then they can feed themselves and teach others for a lifetime.  This is how I try answer Power BI and DAX questions with clear examples so your can learn techniques.

One question per ticket please. If you need to extend your request then please raise a new ticket.

You will get a quicker response and each volunteer solver will get the kudos they deserve. Thank you ! 

If you quote @speedramos in your next tickers then I will then receive an automatic notification, and will be delighted to help you again.

Please click the thumbs up and the accept as solution button. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Try this solution ..
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgMTUY3Uvq3bg8glg-ytnTIQ5iTN9Q?e=CGYbXv

How it works ....
Add a "Table" column = 1 to Table1
Add a "Table" column = 2 to Table2
Append Table1 and Table2 to new Table3

In Table3 Split Column by Delimter 
with Comma,  Each occurence, Advanced and Rows

speedramps_0-1697820710086.png

Create measures

Reasons =
CALCULATE(
    CONCATENATEX(
        DISTINCT(Table3[Reason]),
        Table3[Reason],
        ", "))
Answer =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
[Reasons] = BLANK(),"N/A",
COUNTROWS(Table3) > DISTINCTCOUNT(Table3[Reason]),"Yes",
"No")

The on a new page, drag a table visual, and drag Tabl3 ID, the Reasons measure and the Answer measure

speedramps_1-1697820932848.png

Thanks for the clear description of the problem with example data. I wish everyone did that!

Remember we are unpaid volunteers. So please click the thumbs up and the accept as solution button to leave kudos. 

If you give someone a fish then you only give them one meal, but if you teach them how to fish then they can feed themselves and teach others for a lifetime.  This is how I try answer Power BI and DAX questions with clear examples so your can learn techniques.

One question per ticket please. If you need to extend your request then please raise a new ticket.

You will get a quicker response and each volunteer solver will get the kudos they deserve. Thank you ! 

If you quote @speedramos in your next tickers then I will then receive an automatic notification, and will be delighted to help you again.

Please click the thumbs up and the accept as solution button. 

Hey, Thanks for the code and i think most of this is working but in some cases reason is not matching but still shows answer as YES

Rushil_15_0-1697828440154.png

Rushil_15_1-1697828487794.png

Please share pbix via with the example problem. So I can check it.

Also please click thumbs up to give kudos. Thanks. 

Note your previous examples had lots of typing mistakes aggression and agression, also there were trailing spaces.

Rushil_15
Frequent Visitor

Please find the attached and thanks😀

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! I create two tables like you have above (as well as a 5th row where the values do match in both tables) and joined on ID.

Table1

audreygerred_0-1697811383229.png

Table 2

audreygerred_1-1697811416222.png

In Table 1, I added the below calculated column:

Match = EXACT(Table1[Reason],RELATED(Table2[Reason]))

The results look like below: 
audreygerred_2-1697811453978.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hey, Thanks for your quick reply I think this one is working but is there any way we can get "TRUE" even if one of them matches like ID 1 has Reason A,B,C in Table1 and ID 1 Has Reason A in Table 2 but Match shows "True" (it doesn't have to be an exact match)

How about this - it looks for the text then lets you know which one it found:

audreygerred_0-1697817220099.png

Found in Table2. =
  SWITCH(TRUE(),
    SEARCH("A", RELATED(Table2[Reason]),1, 0) > 0, "A",
    SEARCH("B", RELATED(Table2[Reason]),1, 0) > 0, "B",
    SEARCH("C", RELATED(Table2[Reason]),1, 0) > 0, "C",
    SEARCH("D", RELATED(Table2[Reason]),1, 0) > 0, "D",
    "not found"
  )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

speedramps
Super User
Super User

We want to help you but your description is too vaugue. Please write it again clearly.

Please DON'T copy & paste your DAX that does not work and expect us to fathom what you want to do. That would be crazy. 😀

Please just give a simple non technical functional decscription of what you want, then let us suggest the DAX. Thank you.

Provide example input data as table text (not a screen print) so we can import the data to build a solution for you.
Also provide the example desired output, with a clear description of the process flow.

Remember not to share private data ... we don't want you to get into trouble. 😧

Take time and care to use the same table and field names in the input, output and description so we can understand your problem and help you.

You will get a quick response if you put time, care and effort into writing clear problem descriptions.

Vaugue descriptions can waste your time and ourtime.

Look foward to helping you when the above information is forthcoming

We're sorry, butyou have not given me acess to your to sharepoint  Trty using OneDrive or Dropbox and remember to grant share access

Data_Help.xlsx

Let me know if this works now the access is for everyone!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.