Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kevinpalicki

My Bar graph is disappearing!

I inherited a Power BI report for my project reporting.  For the past 5 years from project to project, I would just copy over the current project report to a new one, with a few adjustments that would make it work for the new project.  But all of a sudden, when I copy and paste the new code in the advanced editor, when I "close and apply" it, it makes the bar graph in my power BI report disappear.  Here is the code that was successful in the old report:

let

Source = VSTS.AnalyticsViews("odhprod", "ODRS_Modernization", []),

#"Shared Views_Folder" = Source{[Id="Shared Views",Kind="Folder"]}[Data],

#"aa9b2a3e-630a-4e30-9dd8-4a62e8d02ddd_Table" = #"Shared Views_Folder"{[Id="aa9b2a3e-630a-4e30-9dd8-4a62e8d02ddd",Kind="Table"]}[Data]

in

#"aa9b2a3e-630a-4e30-9dd8-4a62e8d02ddd_Table"

Here is the code that is now working in the new report:

let

Source = VSTS.AnalyticsViews("odhprod", "ODRS_MIP", []),

#"62405a21-ca87-4302-9b6f-48dfc7e1e8a2_Table" = Source{[Id="62405a21-ca87-4302-9b6f-48dfc7e1e8a2",Kind="Table"]}[Data]

in

#"62405a21-ca87-4302-9b6f-48dfc7e1e8a2_Table"

Can anyone please tell me why they think the bar graph is disappearing with the new code?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For some strange reason, it just started working for me today.  Thank you very much for your help!!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
NaveenGandhi
Super User
Super User

@kevinpalicki 

Can you check if you see data like this once you change the query in advanced editor and maybe refresh preview once to be sure?

NaveenGandhi_0-1685715135199.png

If you see date here, then something on the front end causing the visual to go blank. below are few reaons.
Page level or report level filter

No equivalent data for the selected slicers

Let me know if you have any question!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly. Appreciate your kudos!!

Here is the view of what I see:

kevinpalicki_0-1685715726606.png

I refreshed like you said with no success.

@kevinpalicki 

You have data loading in power query level, Something the report side is causing the visuals to go blank. Take a look at the visual, page and report level filters and also if slicers are impacting the data.

If these doesn't help, you should start looking at the calculations used.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly. Appreciate your kudos!!

Can you give me any examples of these filters that would cause a blockage?

@kevinpalicki 

If you click on a visual and expand the filter pane on the right side, You would see the filters applied on visuals, Below that you can see page level & report level filters.

NaveenGandhi_0-1685727400357.png

Regards,

Naveen

I checked and there appears to be nothing different on the filters from the good one to the bad one.

@kevinpalicki 

Please try to clear those fiters one by one and see if that makes a difference.

kevinpalicki_4-1685729051695.png

It did not make a difference after I cleared the filter.

@kevinpalicki 

Could you please share the pbix file with small sample of data, you can modify sensitive data( export maybe 10 lines of data to Excel and replace it in your report).

Regards,

Naveen

Can you please break down how I do that?

@kevinpalicki 

Once you have the excel file ready, Follow the below steps. I just noticed you dont have any transformation in your query.

1. Select the table & go to advanced editor
  2. Change your code with below code Also change the blue highlighted part with your excel file path.

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Naveen\Downloads\Test.xlsx"), null, true),
Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data]
in
Sheet

if there are other tables, Repeat the same step for them too.

Now you will be able to see data load from excel. Upload the file in drive and share me the link. let me know if you have any issues.

For some strange reason, it just started working for me today.  Thank you very much for your help!!

NaveenGandhi
Super User
Super User

Hello @kevinpalicki 

Could you confirm if the data is being loaded in power query level, but just the visuals are blank?

Thanks,

Naveen

I believe so.  I am not a highly technical person.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.