Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dharm
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Date Columns, single date slicer.

Hi all,

Is it possible to choose a date column based on a column name slicer and then that date column be used by a single date slicer.  For example I have a properties table that has a Build_Date column and a Disposal_Date column.  I want the end user to be able to choose Build_Date from the selection list (single selection only) and then have the Date Slicer use the Build_Date column's content to allow filtering by that column.  Similarly be able to choose Disposal_Date from the selection list and the date slicer use the disposal date column to allow filtering.  So far I've created a dissociated table for the selection list but am having trouble associating that with the main dataset.  An idea was to have a calculated column that would return the date of the column selected from the selection list and then base the date slicer on that column, however I have not been able to get that to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dharm ,

Please try below steps.

1. my test table

Table:

vbinbinyumsft_0-1660810658855.png

2. add a fields parameters and add a slicer

vbinbinyumsft_1-1660810711196.png

3.add a table visual and add two date slicer for "Build_Date" and"Disposal_Date"

Animation1.gif

 Please refer attached .pbix file

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dharm ,

Please try below steps.

1. my test table

Table:

vbinbinyumsft_0-1660810658855.png

2. add a fields parameters and add a slicer

vbinbinyumsft_1-1660810711196.png

3.add a table visual and add two date slicer for "Build_Date" and"Disposal_Date"

Animation1.gif

 Please refer attached .pbix file

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Dharm , You can use single date slicer when both dates need same date range/period to filter

You can join both of them with same date table and one join will be inactive. that you can activate using userelationship

calculate( SUM(Table[Amount]),USERELATIONSHIP ('Table'[Build_Date], 'Date'[Date]))

calculate( SUM(Table[Amount]),USERELATIONSHIP ('Table'[Disposal_Date], 'Date'[Date]))

if they need different periods you need two date tables or use the date itself in the slicer

refer

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

Thanks for this Amit, it's definitely in the right direction.  However one requirement I have is to list the properties that are being filtered.  For example if the column selection in Build_Date and the date slicer is set to 1st Jan 2021 to 30th Jun 2022 then list all the properties built during that period.  Similarly if disposal date is selected and the date slicer is set to the same period then list the properties disposed off in the period.  The solution will work for a count but I need the list to be show.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors