Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

koorosh
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Monthly report based on user's activities

Hello All, I have the following table for users for each month:

koorosh_0-1702799864806.png

What is the optimum approach to get the following table for creating visual charts ?

koorosh_1-1702800072945.png

Should I append all tables to each other? Should I make the relation between each table and the date table? Should I create many date tables to make a relation with each date type column in the tables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The column name is based on the sample data you provided:

danextian_0-1702897723533.png

Check whether your actual data has this column or it might have been renamed.  M is case sensitive - users <> Users. It is important when posting a sample data that you use the actual column names that will be in your data source. Replace "users" in the code with the correct column name.

The dates table was created in DAX.  You can just use your own calendar  - either import or generated using M but you'll need to rebuild the relationships and point the measures to the correct table/columns.

danextian_2-1702898132111.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

tell me you have one file or there will be many every month, if every month send another file from another month

and another question, do you need only the last 6 columns? as in the screenshot

Screenshot_7.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1l2CxUGf52ErKOuQaxbkpd3XkymsE_s/view?usp=sharing

Please, also let me know what is a better data-gathering method compared to the one seen in the Excel file.

Hi @koorosh ,

There is lesser work to be done in the query  editor if the data is one sheet but there is hardly a difference in query performance if there are only a few thousand rows. That being said, there are two queries in attached pbix - one that combines each month of data and once which just connects to a single worksheet.  Note: I used December data for November by replacing dates.

danextian_0-1702854536879.png

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Thanks, Dan, I got the following error:

koorosh_0-1702879815583.png

Could you please how you created the date table? Usually, I use the following code:

koorosh_1-1702880106463.png

The column name is based on the sample data you provided:

danextian_0-1702897723533.png

Check whether your actual data has this column or it might have been renamed.  M is case sensitive - users <> Users. It is important when posting a sample data that you use the actual column names that will be in your data source. Replace "users" in the code with the correct column name.

The dates table was created in DAX.  You can just use your own calendar  - either import or generated using M but you'll need to rebuild the relationships and point the measures to the correct table/columns.

danextian_2-1702898132111.png

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @koorosh ,

Assuming that the month and year relates to the dates in each column and not just a single one, I would change the data type of timestamp columns to date, create a separate dates table, create an active relationship with column C and inactive ones with the other columns and use USERELATIONSHIP in a measure to invoke the active relationship in a measure. I would have attached a sample pbix if I could copy and paste the sample data to an Excel file. Alas, it is an image.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.