Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ddk
Advocate II
Advocate II

Mixed model many to many mystery

I have the following tables in a published dataset:

Customers:
Columns: customerID, VAT number, customer name, address...
One VAT number can have multiple customerID's (so VAT number is not unique).

Products:
Columns: product ID, product name, supplier...

Turnover (= fact table):
Columns: orderID, customerID, productID...

The following relationships exist:
- from Customers to Turnover, 1 to many, single (on customerID)
- from Product to Turnover, 1 to many, single (on productID)

I want to add the following table to the model (from an excel on Sharepoint):

Labels:
Columns: VAT number, supplier, label
This is a limited set of customers (although not customerID's but VAT numbers (!)).
For each VAT there is a row per supplier and the label to follow (for that customer with that supplier) (so VAT number is not unique neither here).
Some customers have 1 supplier (=1 row), others have more (there are only 5 suppliers) (=max 5 rows).
There are 3 possible labels.

How to link the Labels table to the model (what table?) to be able to see the turnover per customer (VAT & customerID's) per supplier, and their label for that supplier (in the same table visual)?

I assumed both linking with the customers table and the product table, but i get an error like this:
"Table Product filters table Customer, which is from the same PBI data source or AS data source, through a path that exists outside of the data source: Product -> Labels -> Customer".

Any ideas?
Is it related to the fact that it is a mixed model?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ddk 

The error message you’re receiving indicates that there’s a filtering path that’s not supported because it crosses between these two types of sources.

You may consider:

Since you have multiple customerIDs for each VAT number, and the Labels table also uses VAT number.

You can create a bridge table that consolidates unique VAT numbers from both the Customers and Labels tables.

build relationships.

If using DirectQuery for tables, note that Power BI has restrictions on cross-filtering between DirectQuery tables and imported tables.

The key to solving such problems is to ensure that the relationships and filter directions are set correctly.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.