Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure, nested-IF, text

Hello to all DAX gurus,

source_table:

Location (text)Phase (text)

Id (number)

Value (number)
AP1110
BP1210
BP2310
CP2410
CP35

Logic:

For each location:

if Phase- P1, calculated (Value; FILTER (Source_table; Phase - P1));

if Phase- P2, is calculated (Value; FILTER (Source_table; Phase - P2));

if Phase- P3, calculated (Value; FILTER (Source_table; Phase - P3));

Explanation:

For each location, if there is a P1 value, return the value P1.

If there is no P1 value, use the value P2.

If there is no P2 value, use the P3 value.

How can I achieve a result table like the following, with the above logic, using only the measure? I use the SAAS model, so I can only create a new measure (no calculated columns).

Result_table:

LocationPhaseIdnew_measure
AP1110
BP1210
CP2410

I tried to use RANKX, KEEPFILTER, ISFILTERED, but so har has not succeeded.

Thank you in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous try this

Measure = 
VAR __p1 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P1" )
VAR __p2 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P3" )
VAR __p3 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P3" )
RETURN
SWITCH ( TRUE(),
 __p1 <> BLANK(), __p1,
 __p2 <> BLANK(), __p2,
 __p3
)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If your fact table have same order as sample, you could try the following DAX:

Measure  =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Id] )
        = CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Table'[Id] ), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Location] ) ),
    [Your value]
)

Here is the result.

2-1.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-eachen-msft  thanks for the help, but the ID is random unfortunately, so I can't use MIN. I'm still trying to understand why I get all the Phase on the result table.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous really not sure what does this means:

For each Location:

if Phase= P1, get Value;

else if Phase= P2, get Value;

else if Phase= P3, get Value

all are getting value?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k I added explanation to the problem above. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

@Anonymous try this

Measure = 
VAR __p1 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P1" )
VAR __p2 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P3" )
VAR __p3 = CALCULATE ( [Value Measure], Table[Phase] = "P3" )
RETURN
SWITCH ( TRUE(),
 __p1 <> BLANK(), __p1,
 __p2 <> BLANK(), __p2,
 __p3
)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k the result_table is correct if it only has Location, ID, and new_measure columns, but when I added the Phase column, it got messed up and showed duplicated Location, new_measure value for all the Phase P1-P3. How can I avoid this? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.