Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

J_o_n_a_s
Helper I
Helper I

Measure instead of merging 3 tables

Hi all,

I have a table (showing employee hours worked) with about 250k rows. Instead of merging it with 2 other tables I assume using a measure loads my reports faster. (If not I will stick to merging the tables).

So basically i have these 3 tables below. The yellow columns are the result after merging the 3 tables. So i would like a measure to replicate that merge.

J_o_n_a_s_0-1658406182115.png

Thanks for your help.
Jonas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @J_o_n_a_s ,

Please try:

First, create relationships between the three tables:

vjianbolimsft_0-1658814473791.png

Then apply the measures to the table visual:

Department(Employee) = CALCULATE( MAX('Table 1'[Department]),FILTER('Table 1',[Employee]=MAX('Table 3'[Employee])))

Department(Project) = CALCULATE( MAX('Table 2'[Department]),FILTER('Table 2',[Project]=MAX('Table 3'[Project])))

Output:

vjianbolimsft_2-1658814514089.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @J_o_n_a_s ,

Please try:

First, create relationships between the three tables:

vjianbolimsft_0-1658814473791.png

Then apply the measures to the table visual:

Department(Employee) = CALCULATE( MAX('Table 1'[Department]),FILTER('Table 1',[Employee]=MAX('Table 3'[Employee])))

Department(Project) = CALCULATE( MAX('Table 2'[Department]),FILTER('Table 2',[Project]=MAX('Table 3'[Project])))

Output:

vjianbolimsft_2-1658814514089.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you 😀

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@J_o_n_a_s , Join Table 3 with Table 2 and Table 1 on the project and employee respectively.

Then simply create a measure sum(Table3[Hours])

and display along with columns from table 1, Table 3

Thanks @amitchandak . But your method makes use of merging. I am trying to find a way of not having those yellow columns in table 3. But having a measure instead.

Thanks

Jonas

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.