Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s-turn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Matrix with mix of measures in rows and columns? (Recreate Excel spreadsheet challenge!)

Monthly Budget Report structure.PNG

The above picture shows the structure of a report I designed in Excel long ago.  I now want to translate it into Power BI.  The difficult part is the last two columns.  "YTD" is the sum of all months to date (in this example, up to and including February). "FY20-21" is the sum of all months, including future months.  Obviously, for the Actual rows, this value will be the same in both colunms.  However, it will differ for the Budget and Variance rows.

I thought I had cracked this, using the method outlined here, but it's just dawned on me that it won't work with three different measures on my rows.  (Budget and Actual pull from different tables, and Variance is simply Actual minus Budget).

Any help much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
s-turn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you!  I finally figured it out - the method in the article I linked to was appropriate after all.  For some reason it took me ages to understand that I simply needed to create three different new measures (to replace Actual, Budget and Variance) in the way the article describes. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
s-turn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you!  I finally figured it out - the method in the article I linked to was appropriate after all.  For some reason it took me ages to understand that I simply needed to create three different new measures (to replace Actual, Budget and Variance) in the way the article describes. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.