Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CaseyM
Frequent Visitor

Matrix Table - Month Descending Order

Hello,

I am real familure with DAX and Power Query in Excel, but fairly new to Power BI.  I have searched the forums and found many issues on the topic, but I still cannot get it to work.  

I am trying to create a matrix visual where the column headers are in descending order, but it is not working.  Here is what I did:

CaseyM_0-1658607604820.png

As you can see, the date is in the incorrect order.  Here is what I did to try to get it to work.

I created a calculated column showing the reporting month:

CaseyM_1-1658607722325.png

Here is the formula used:

Month for Reporting - Desc = 'Calendar'[Month for Reporting]

For the "Sort by" field I did the following in Power Query:

1.  I Grouped my "End of Month" field with a table.
CaseyM_2-1658607874928.png

2.  I sorted the "End of Month" Field in descending order:

3.  I added an index column from 0 in increments of 1 and named it "Desc Sort Order."

4. I expanded the table and loaded and closed.  Here is what it looks like.

CaseyM_0-1658608539220.png

On the Calendar table, I took the "Month for Reporting - Desc" field and applied the "Sort by column" to the "Desc Sort Order" field.

CaseyM_3-1658608059436.png

The data does not populate correctly.

CaseyM_4-1658608098049.png

When I use my other "Month for Reporting" field with sort applied to a different column, it works correctly in ascending order.

CaseyM_5-1658608185503.png

I feel like I am going crazy because I applied the same logic to the descending report, but it is not working.

Do you all have any other suggestions to get this sorted in the correct order?

Appreciate your response.

Casey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CaseyM
Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for responding.  I cleared all the confidential data and was going to add a sample pbix file, but then it worked!  I rebuilt the matrix visual without changing anything and it is working properly now.  Strange, but I am glad it is working now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CaseyM ,

If you want to change the order of the month. You can use  sort by column function to sort your month as you want. Only import a table with unique month and an index column. Then create a relationship between these tables.

vchenwuzmsft_2-1658909017285.png

For example, you want let apr'22 as the 1st one and jan'22 as the 2nd... refer [index2], then sort [month] by index2.

vchenwuzmsft_0-1658908835444.png

Result:

vchenwuzmsft_1-1658908913157.png

Pbix in the end you can refer.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

CaseyM
Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for responding.  I cleared all the confidential data and was going to add a sample pbix file, but then it worked!  I rebuilt the matrix visual without changing anything and it is working properly now.  Strange, but I am glad it is working now.

MahyarTF
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Not sure, what is in your Date Dim,
But you could add the Month number column in your Date Dim as below :

-------
"Month",MONTH([Date]),
-------
and then use the particular column in your Sort process.
Not sure I it is working for you, but I usually use the number as a sort field for Date records
Mahyartf
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

What do you mean by descending order of month?  Please be clear.  Also, share the download link of your PBI file. 

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.