Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mgallacher
Frequent Visitor

Mapping Dates Through Bridge Table

I have one many to many table AS orders, one bridge table AS Account Manager ID and the third many to many table AS Master Data(2).

I created a bridge table so my many to many tables could connect to each other and I connected them though an id. There are dates in both many to many tables and they don't communicate with each other. I need to filter by date in my report, from the Master Data(2) table, and have orders update to the data range selected. 

Bridge-Table.PNG

Can anyone help? I can't find this posted anywhere. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mgallacher,

You can create a date dimension table (suppose it's named as 'DimDate') using CALENDAR() function. Then this new table will contain a column with unique date values. Then, you can create a one to many relationship between 'orders' and 'DimDate' based on date field. Also, create a one to many relationship between 'Master Data(2)' and 'DimDate'. In that case, 'DimDate' works as a bridge table.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @mgallacher

Why not have a separate date table that you connect to both your Orders and Master Data(2) table and use that as your filter table?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Could you give a brief explanation or visual as to how you would set that up? I'm just a marketer who plays an analyst at work. I appreciate the help. 

Hi @mgallacher,

You can create a date dimension table (suppose it's named as 'DimDate') using CALENDAR() function. Then this new table will contain a column with unique date values. Then, you can create a one to many relationship between 'orders' and 'DimDate' based on date field. Also, create a one to many relationship between 'Master Data(2)' and 'DimDate'. In that case, 'DimDate' works as a bridge table.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you! That solution worked well and I can create a filter from the new date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.