Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mapped Network Drive - Can't access CSV data, "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials..."

Hello!

So I've had a version of a Power BI report I've been working on for months. Each version uses the same data sources that I've mapped to my "Z" drive. For some reason all of a sudden, when I've tried to refresh it now throws an error saying "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again".

I've been using the identical setup to access these CSV files for months. I'm logged into Power BI with my Windows credentials, and when I go to edit the data sources, that is the only login option it gives me - to use my Windows credentials. It won't work with "Use my current credentials" or "Use alternative credentials", where I'm re-entering my creds essentially again.

Is there a different route I should be using to access these files going forward? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, that sounds weird. Did you company perhaps implement MFA? Did you recently upgrade your Desktop? What is the version? File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics.

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg!

The odd thing is I can see mapped network drive and all those files in my File Explorer. If I click to launch one it opens Excel as it should. In Power BI, if I tell it to pull in new data, I can see it via that route as well.

We did implement MFA within the last few weeks, didn't even think about that...good point! It's odd though that I can see and read the data through just about every other mean under the sun still, just not this existing Data Source setting I've had for almost a year now.

We do have Pro accounts for a few of us so I'll open a ticket...thanks for the comments and the heads up!

Joshua

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please find the solution in this case and check if it can solve your issue.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.