Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BenEaton
Frequent Visitor

Manning Forecast

Hello all!

I'm looking to create a forecast of the manning level in my organisation over a couple of years, taking into account fixed term contracts.  I have their names, join date and projected contract end date in a table that looks like this:

Screenshot.png If anyone could help me out that would be great - new to Power BI this week and want to demonstrate how it can be of use to the company!

Many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BenEaton,

If I understood you correctly, you want to calculate the number of stilled working employees, right?

You can create a calendar table:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN('Table1'[Join]),MAX('Table1'[End]))

Then create a measure in Table1:

Still Employed = COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[End]>=MAX([End])),[Name])

Create a new table:

Table = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Calendar',"Date",[Date],"Still Employeed",COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[End]>=EARLIER('Calendar'[Date])),[Name])))

Add a forecast line to the line chart.

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I might have figured it out as COUNTAX(FILTER(Plot,[Join]<=EARLIER(Calendar[Date]) && [End]>=EARLIER(Calendar[Date]))), it appears to show what I need it to!  I am still a bit confused about the use of EARLIER, but it does what I need it to and some more playing with the expression might be more revealing.

Many thanks @v-qiuyu-msft for a bit of guided learning!  If there's a more logical way of writing what I have written please let me know!  If only now I can add a slicer I'm fully set!

Ben

Manning Forecast.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BenEaton,

If I understood you correctly, you want to calculate the number of stilled working employees, right?

You can create a calendar table:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN('Table1'[Join]),MAX('Table1'[End]))

Then create a measure in Table1:

Still Employed = COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[End]>=MAX([End])),[Name])

Create a new table:

Table = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Calendar',"Date",[Date],"Still Employeed",COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[End]>=EARLIER('Calendar'[Date])),[Name])))

Add a forecast line to the line chart.

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Many thanks, that's brilliant.  What I am trying to work out now is how to take into account the join date - as the line chart only takes into account end date and the starting line is simply the sum of all employees in the data, regardless of join date.

I think it's to do with COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[End]>=EARLIER('Calendar'[Date])) only referencing [end], not [Join].  At the moment trying to find a way to express almost a "between"!

I might have figured it out as COUNTAX(FILTER(Plot,[Join]<=EARLIER(Calendar[Date]) && [End]>=EARLIER(Calendar[Date]))), it appears to show what I need it to!  I am still a bit confused about the use of EARLIER, but it does what I need it to and some more playing with the expression might be more revealing.

Many thanks @v-qiuyu-msft for a bit of guided learning!  If there's a more logical way of writing what I have written please let me know!  If only now I can add a slicer I'm fully set!

Ben

Manning Forecast.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.