Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

emma313823
Helper IV
Helper IV

Managing Roles Filter Syntax

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with syntax and hope someone can assist.

In my PBI Desktop, I have a salesperson I'm trying to create a role for and restrict to their accounts, but also include a salesperson for the territory called New Business Development.

So...the salesperson is Russ V in the territory called Metro. When I restrict by the territory of Metro and Account Manager of Russ V data displayed looks good, but when I try to bring in the New Business Development nothing displays. I'm assuming it is my syntax.

emma313823_0-1623946795043.png

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Emma

Emma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emma313823 

I cannot understand the formula you provide .

[Account Manager] = "Russ V" && [Account Manager] = "New Business Development"

Do you want to see Metro data for both accounts Russ V and New Business Development? If this is the case, you cannot use && between the two accounts, but || . It is not satisfied at the same time, but only one of these two accounts can be displayed.

For example :

[territory] = "Metro" &&  [Account Manager] = "Russ V"  || [Account Manager] = "New Business Development"

Ailsamsft_0-1624346935204.png

And the result is as shown:

Ailsamsft_1-1624346935204.pngAilsamsft_2-1624346935205.png 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emma313823 

I cannot understand the formula you provide .

[Account Manager] = "Russ V" && [Account Manager] = "New Business Development"

Do you want to see Metro data for both accounts Russ V and New Business Development? If this is the case, you cannot use && between the two accounts, but || . It is not satisfied at the same time, but only one of these two accounts can be displayed.

For example :

[territory] = "Metro" &&  [Account Manager] = "Russ V"  || [Account Manager] = "New Business Development"

Ailsamsft_0-1624346935204.png

And the result is as shown:

Ailsamsft_1-1624346935204.pngAilsamsft_2-1624346935205.png 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

emma313823
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have multiple territories...NE, Metro, Mid, PA, UNY

Each territory has specific sales people in a territory.

One Sales person called New Business Development is in all territories. This is not a real person...this is just a bucket for some accounts. We want a sales person in a territory to see not only their data, but New Business Development in their territory as well. So...

Russ V is Metro. I want to restrict what he sees to his accounts as [account manager] and by those New Business Development accounts in the [territory] of metro only.

Emma
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 or try this, I'm guessing everything here

[Territory] = "Metro" && [Account Manager] = { "Russ", "New Business Development" } 

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 I'm actually bit confused with your question, can you share sample data and expected output.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 why you have the condition [Account Manager]  = "New Business Development", isn't it is a territory?

Maybe this is what you want:

[Territory] IN { "Metro", "New Business Development" } && [Account Manager] = "Russ"

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Unfortunately, this only displays data for Russ and not the new business development for the metro territory.

I also reversed it and tried to start with the account manage of russ, then the new business and territory and it still only showed the accounts for russ and nothing else.

Emma

Emma

Emma

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.