Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jackisover
Helper I
Helper I

Make a slicer exclusive

Hello,

My data is sensitive and can't be filtered more than once. So I would like to make the following : 

If the user uses one of the slicers, then he can't use the other ones (they'd become disabled or something)

For instance, on my screenshot, if I use the slicer A, I'm not able to use of the slicers B.  Inversely, if I use one of the slicers B, then I can't use the slicer A.

How to do this please ? I didn't find the way ! Thanks a lot !

image filtres.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jackisover 

Here are the snapshot of how I did this as below: 

1.png

When I select country Bahrain and after that I selected year 2015 than I got blank value.

3.png

So, I created one measure which will be used for cascading.

6.png

After that I apply that measure on visual filter and in that I select advance filtering and from dropdown select "is" and write "1" in the space and then apply filter.

Thus, after applying cascading, when I select Bahrain country from the slicer, it will filter out the year which returns the value balnk. 
You can aslo apply the same cascading on country slicer also. In that country slicer will get filtered if the user first select the year slicer. 

Best Regards.

If my solution helps you than please accept it as solution. 

Thanking you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
h21
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Jackisover 

The one way is you can make the slicer related to each other. 
Like if slicer A is selected then slicer B will filter itself with the data which give some value and vice versa. 

Thus, you can make use of cascading.

Best Regards. 

Thanks but how can I do that ?

Hi @Jackisover 

If there any chance you can share sample data so I'll directly show you cascading on that related data or it will be okay if I give you idea of cascading using any other data. 

Best Regards.

Thanks for the offer @h21 I'm unfortunately not authorized to share this data, but any other data will work if you want to make an example. I assume cascading doesn't just mean using 2 variables in the same slicer. Thanks a lot !

Hi @Jackisover 

Here are the snapshot of how I did this as below: 

1.png

When I select country Bahrain and after that I selected year 2015 than I got blank value.

3.png

So, I created one measure which will be used for cascading.

6.png

After that I apply that measure on visual filter and in that I select advance filtering and from dropdown select "is" and write "1" in the space and then apply filter.

Thus, after applying cascading, when I select Bahrain country from the slicer, it will filter out the year which returns the value balnk. 
You can aslo apply the same cascading on country slicer also. In that country slicer will get filtered if the user first select the year slicer. 

Best Regards.

If my solution helps you than please accept it as solution. 

Thanking you!

Thanks a lot @h21 

I'm not sure I already understood everything, but I will. 

I think you got the solution !

Thank you for your time !

Hi, @Jackisover 

Okay, no probelm I'll share using other data. 
No cascading doesn't mean using 2 variables in the same slicer. You will have slicer according to your columns like you share in your example. 

I'll provide the solution soon. 

v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jackisover ,

I think you can use Bookmarks, it can help you where Slicer A is visible and Slicer B is hidden, and another one where Slicer B is visible and Slicer A is hidden.

Then I create a table and two slicers as you mentioned.

vyilongmsft_0-1714526651446.png

Then I create two bookmarks.

vyilongmsft_2-1714527264945.png

You can hide the bookmarks you do not want to select.

vyilongmsft_1-1714527248495.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yilong-msft 

It could be a solution, yes. But I think it's a complicated procedure while I already use 15 bookmars in this same page. I was hoping for something more obvious that I wouldn't know

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.