Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAX of DATE in LOOKUP

Hey I have 2 tables:  Hires, Terms,

HIRES:

ID  HIRE DATE

1    8/17

1    8/25

2    9/1

2    9/31

TERMS:

ID       TERM_DATE

1         8/20

1         8/31

2        9/10

2        10/3

I want to do a look up by bringing the hire_date into the TERMS table by checking the "ID". However, since these ID's have 2 hire dates but same ID again, I woud like to consider only the max hire date of the person so that he is counted only once instead of twice.

Is there a way this can be done?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try following, change the table name as per your model.

HireDate = CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[HireDate] ), FILTER( Table1, Table1[Id] = Table2[Id] ) )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please try this...

HireDate = CALCULATE(MAX(Hires[HireDate]),FILTER(Hires,Hires[ID]=EARLIER(Terms[ID]))) 

image.png

Here, I've assumed you have a proper date in HireDate field in Hires table. If that is not the case, the data contains only MM/DD format as mentioned then the logic will be different as it will be in text format..

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PattemManohar Hey, I think that earlier[id] does not work. The other formula worked correctly.

Thanks!

@Anonymous Not sure why it didn't work for you. I've also attached the screenshot of the same.

Anyway, you got it worked !! That's cool !!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try following, change the table name as per your model.

HireDate = CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[HireDate] ), FILTER( Table1, Table1[Id] = Table2[Id] ) )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.