Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Boyo
Regular Visitor

Lookup years and sum values based on selections in Power BI slicer

Hello everyone,

I'm new to power BI, and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I' m trying to achieve the result table in the snapshot below using power BI DAX

I have a database with following data.

1. Column A: Sales Year - with years for historical and projected sales
  2. Column B: Sales numbers for each sales team for each year
  3. Column C: Names of each sales team

My Request

1. Create a new column in Power BI - with historical and projected years without repeating them i.e., Column F named "Fiscal Year".
  2. Create a new column in Power BI that sum up the sales numbers in column G named "Yearly Sales Total" for the teams for each year in column F (Fiscal Year).

2.1. based on selected sales team using Power BI Slicer (sample in column F8:G10)

2.2. The DAX code will compare column named "Sales Year" to column named "Fiscal Year" to ensure the right sales numbers are returned for the teams in each year in column F.

I will appreciate it if someone could help me.

Many thanks

Boyo_0-1686065388218.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Boyo ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) If you want to display data on a visual object, place the fields as shown in the figure below.

vtangjiemsft_0-1686193654877.png

(3)If you want to create a new table, go to modeling->new table->Modify column name[Fiscal Year].

Table 2 = VALUES('Table'[Sales Year])

Then we can add a column which, by design, is not affected by the TEAM of Table 1, and create a measure if you want the total value to be filtered by the slicer. Measure values do not appear in the data view, they can only be rendered on the visual object.

Yearly Sales Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Sales Year]=EARLIER('Table 2'[Fiscal Year]) ))
Measure (Yearly Sales Total) = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Sales Year]=MAX('Table 2'[Fiscal Year]) && 'Table'[Sales Team] in VALUES('Table'[Sales Team])))
Measure = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table 2','Table 2'[Fiscal Year], "total",[Measure (Yearly Sales Total)]),[total])

(4) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_1-1686194252165.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Boyo ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) If you want to display data on a visual object, place the fields as shown in the figure below.

vtangjiemsft_0-1686193654877.png

(3)If you want to create a new table, go to modeling->new table->Modify column name[Fiscal Year].

Table 2 = VALUES('Table'[Sales Year])

Then we can add a column which, by design, is not affected by the TEAM of Table 1, and create a measure if you want the total value to be filtered by the slicer. Measure values do not appear in the data view, they can only be rendered on the visual object.

Yearly Sales Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Sales Year]=EARLIER('Table 2'[Fiscal Year]) ))
Measure (Yearly Sales Total) = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Sales Year]=MAX('Table 2'[Fiscal Year]) && 'Table'[Sales Team] in VALUES('Table'[Sales Team])))
Measure = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table 2','Table 2'[Fiscal Year], "total",[Measure (Yearly Sales Total)]),[total])

(4) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_1-1686194252165.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Solution accepted - Many thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.