Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PeterChen
Helper I
Helper I

Last four quarters rate

I have a data like this:

image.png

I just show a simple table, but column Date is from 2015 to 2019/6/30, column Group has 4 groups (A-D), and column value is numeric that the numbers are different rather than all 5. What I want is create a measure to add up last four quarters. Therefore, if the max date in column Date is 2019/6/28, then the new measure, L4QrAll, is the total value add up from 2018Q3 to 2019Q2 (4 quarters) without considering groups. Suppose last 4 quarters total value of all groups is 50. Then, all should display 50.

I simply create fake result as below:

image.png

Next, another measure, L4QrEach, for each group, adding up last four quarters value. Last, I will calculate the rate, L4QrEach / L4QrAll.

YQ             Group    L4QrAll    L4QrEach   RATE

2018Q1     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q2     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q3     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q4     A            50            30              0.6

2019Q1     A            50            30              0.6

2019Q2     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q1     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q2     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q3     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q4     B            50            20              0.4

2019Q1     B            50            20              0.4

2019Q2     B            50            20              0.4

Finally, we get 0.6 for A and 0.4 for B. This is the only two values I want because I will use these rates to plot bar graph.

image.png

Above plot is what I want. X-axis is Group. Y-axis is Rate. There are 2 bars in each group because there are another column said group2. Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbrijalba
Helper I
Helper I

If I understand you correctly you want to put all the Dates in to a YYYYQ format:

(YQ = Concatenate(DateField.[Year], Concatenate("Q", DateField[QuarterNo])) As a Column

Then you want a Total of the last 4 Quarters 

(L4QrAll = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(All(TableName), YQ  = // This is where I cannot make it dynamic however it will work but you will have to change it when we enter a new quater// "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Then a Measure for the Group Values

(L4QrEach = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(TableName, YQ  = "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Finally the Rate

Rate = Divide(L4QrEach, L4QrAll) As a Measure

Note:  This will not create a table like the one you had. This is due to level of detail. However, if you create a table like yours without the YQ field it will aggregate to the group level.

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

This is the data I created to test it.

Excel.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jbrijalba
Helper I
Helper I

If I understand you correctly you want to put all the Dates in to a YYYYQ format:

(YQ = Concatenate(DateField.[Year], Concatenate("Q", DateField[QuarterNo])) As a Column

(L4QrAll = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(All(TableName), YQ  = // This is where I cannot make it dynamic however it will work but you will have to change it when we enter a new quater// "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

(L4QrEach = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(TableName, YQ  = "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Finally the Rate

Note:  This will not create a table like the one you had. This is due to level of detail. However, if you create a table like yours without the YQ field it will aggregate to the group level.

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

Excel.PNG

@jbrijalba wrote:

Finally the Rate

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

Excel.PNG

Is it possible to use DATESINPERIOD?

L4QrAll = CALCULATE(SUM('dt'[Value]),DATESINPERIOD('dt'[date].[Date],MAX('dt'[date].[Date]),-4,QUARTER))

And then subset the last value. Not sure about this.

I do not see why not. Duplicate the measure and give it a try. Maybe give Today() a try instead of MAX(date). I think either will work.

@jbrijalba wrote:

I do not see why not. Duplicate the measure and give it a try. Maybe give Today() a try instead of MAX(date). I think either will work.

After calculate last four quarters for adding up, how can I subset the last value in each group....

Can you give more context? Not sure what you mean. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.