Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kewaynes
Helper III
Helper III

Keep Row Subtotal Formatting When Rows Collapsed

I have created formatting for my row subtotals in my matrix. However, it only changes to the formatting if the matrix is expanded to the next level down. When the matrix is collapsed, it reverts back to the default formatting for values and row headers. Is there a way to keep the row subtotal formatting applied to these rows regardless of whether the matrix is expanded or collapsed?

So, for example, If I have my matrix expanded, rows A & B have the subtotal formatting applied. 

kewaynes_0-1684430015499.png

However, once I collapse the matrix, the formatting for A & B goes back to the default formatting for Values and Row Headers. And I'd prefer it to keep the subtotal formatting (blue background).

kewaynes_1-1684430084712.png

4 REPLIES 4
TaylorH
Frequent Visitor

I've been having this same problem recently and finally found the solution by accident. 

If your data is structured in the same manner as mine with a heirarchy of row variables (image below), the solution is to use the "Expand all down one level in the heirarchy" button located in the top right corner of your matrix visual. Once you have done this, manually collapse each section by clicking the minus buttons and the row subtotal formatting will remain in place.

The problem stems from the parent layer losing its 'subtotal' status when all subsections are collapsed. By selecting the "Expand all down one level in the heirarchy" button, Power BI seems to permanently identify this layer as subtotals even when all sections are collapsed.

My data format:

TaylorH_0-1685604478448.png

"Expand all down one level in the heirarchy" button:

TaylorH_1-1685604573153.png

Lastly, "drill up" (button furthest to the right) will undo this 'expand down' step and return you to how your matrix currently functions in your screenshots.

Hopefully this helps!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

where have you set the formatting?  you should be able to apply it to both totals and values 

so if you doing via cell elements in the settings change values only from this

vanessafvg_1-1684430889500.png

to this

vanessafvg_3-1684430959407.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the response. I've gotten this to work for the value column (Sum of Yield), but the cell elements  doesn't appear to let me select the row header (Farm). Since I can't select it, I can't assign a rule to it. 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you please provide screeenshots so its clear what yo uare asking for.  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.