Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbarnard2
Frequent Visitor

KPI with % change

I am looking to build some KPIs with a % change from the most recent complete period (month or quarter) to a previous period (either previous quarter/month or same quarter/month from previous year), but everything I've found in the community and elsewhere online does not quite work. Here is an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

jbarnard2_0-1698696779673.png
% change calculated with the formula: (Current Period - Previous Period) / Previous Period

One of the requirements is that these KPIs sit on the top of a dashboard with other components that show the entire 5 quarter timeframe, and that it dynamically will select the last complete quarter/month or the same one from last year when this is updated. The metric doesn't have to be in the same box as the % change, though.

I'm relatively new to PBI - but this was pretty straightforward in Tableau: make a table calculation for % change, then use a lookup function to look back 1 or 5 quarters, depending on input from a parameter switch. If anyone has some insight on how to think about this differently in PBI, it would be greatly appreciated. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Measure =

var _current = Switch( selectedvalue(Period[Period]) ,

"Month", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(('Date'[Date]))),

"Quarter", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date]))),

"Year", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date])))

)

var _prior = Switch( selectedvalue(Period[Period]) ,

"Month", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Month))),

"Quarter", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))),

"Year", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))

)
return
divide( _current - _prior, _prior)

refer

https://medium.com/chandakamit/power-bi-when-i-felt-lazy-and-i-needed-too-many-measures-ed8de20d9f79

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Required-custom-date-Slicer-Last-7-days-last-15-days-last-3...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Measure =

var _current = Switch( selectedvalue(Period[Period]) ,

"Month", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(('Date'[Date]))),

"Quarter", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date]))),

"Year", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date])))

)

var _prior = Switch( selectedvalue(Period[Period]) ,

"Month", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Month))),

"Quarter", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))),

"Year", QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))

)
return
divide( _current - _prior, _prior)

refer

https://medium.com/chandakamit/power-bi-when-i-felt-lazy-and-i-needed-too-many-measures-ed8de20d9f79

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Required-custom-date-Slicer-Last-7-days-last-15-days-last-3...

thanks for the quick reply! Maybe I don't understand how these functions work, but I need entire previous quarters, not quarter or month to date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.