Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dapster105
Advocate III
Advocate III

Json missing field - existing solutions not working for Record field type

Hi,

I'm close to giving up on this one and resorting some some raw text manipulation but I hope you can help me to solve this the right way.

I'm bringing in some json over a REST api. The problem I have is that the json structure is sometimes missing fields which are records (nested objects) and all the many varied fixes / workarounds I've tried (like SelectFields or List.Transform) work well if a regular field is missing but not if the missing field is a Record type.

Example json:

{
  "individual_appointments": [
    {
      "id": 1,
"lotsofotherfields": "stuff", "practitioner": { "links": { "self": "https://api.someapp.com/v1/practitioners/1" } } },
{
"id": 2,
"lotsofotherfields": "morestuff"
} ], }

In the above example, the practitioner field is sometimes missing, causing errors. I've tried solutions based on Record.SelectFields, List.Transform, Record.TransformFields and I can't get rid of the errors (The field 'practitioner' of the record wasn't found) or similar.

Really I want the practitioner->links->self value into the 'individual_appointments' table in place of practitioner if it is present.

I felt my best bet was a transform at the List stage but I just can't get it to work.

I'd be sooooo grateful for a solution to this.

Thanks!

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ojedap ,

not sure what you're actually after here, but this method would replace missing records with a record of your choice before expanding:

let
    Source = "{#(cr)#(lf)  ""individual_appointments"": [#(cr)#(lf)    {#(cr)#(lf)      ""id"": 1,#(cr)#(lf)      ""lotsofotherfields"": ""stuff"",#(cr)#(lf)      ""practitioner"": {#(cr)#(lf)        ""links"": {#(cr)#(lf)          ""self"": ""https://api.someapp.com/v1/practitioners/1""#(cr)#(lf)          }#(cr)#(lf)      }#(cr)#(lf)    },#(cr)#(lf)    { #(cr)#(lf)      ""id"": 2,#(cr)#(lf)      ""lotsofotherfields"": ""morestuff""#(cr)#(lf)    } #(cr)#(lf)  ],#(cr)#(lf)}",
    #"Parsed JSON" = Json.Document(Source),
    individual_appointments = #"Parsed JSON"[individual_appointments],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(individual_appointments, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "lotsofotherfields", "practitioner"}, {"id", "lotsofotherfields", "practitioner"}),
    #"Expanded practitioner" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "practitioner", {"links"}, {"links"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded practitioner",null, [self = "SelfIsMissingHere"],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"links"}),
    #"Expanded links" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Replaced Value", "links", {"self"}, {"self"})
in
    #"Expanded links"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @dapster105 ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @dapster105 ,

More details will be much helpful.

If it is convenient, could you share the screenshot of your error message and your M query which you could get it from Advanced Editor? Please not do mask the sensitive data before uploading.

@ImkeF is good at M query, hope she could have other ideas for your scenario.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ojedap ,

not sure what you're actually after here, but this method would replace missing records with a record of your choice before expanding:

let
    Source = "{#(cr)#(lf)  ""individual_appointments"": [#(cr)#(lf)    {#(cr)#(lf)      ""id"": 1,#(cr)#(lf)      ""lotsofotherfields"": ""stuff"",#(cr)#(lf)      ""practitioner"": {#(cr)#(lf)        ""links"": {#(cr)#(lf)          ""self"": ""https://api.someapp.com/v1/practitioners/1""#(cr)#(lf)          }#(cr)#(lf)      }#(cr)#(lf)    },#(cr)#(lf)    { #(cr)#(lf)      ""id"": 2,#(cr)#(lf)      ""lotsofotherfields"": ""morestuff""#(cr)#(lf)    } #(cr)#(lf)  ],#(cr)#(lf)}",
    #"Parsed JSON" = Json.Document(Source),
    individual_appointments = #"Parsed JSON"[individual_appointments],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(individual_appointments, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "lotsofotherfields", "practitioner"}, {"id", "lotsofotherfields", "practitioner"}),
    #"Expanded practitioner" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "practitioner", {"links"}, {"links"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded practitioner",null, [self = "SelfIsMissingHere"],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"links"}),
    #"Expanded links" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Replaced Value", "links", {"self"}, {"self"})
in
    #"Expanded links"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks all - apologies I have been on vacation!

Imke your answer contained the solution for me. I am very grateful. The magic function call is:

Table.FromList(individual_appointments, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)

I say magic because I have studied the documentation for this function and I literally have no idea why this works, it just does. SplitByNothing() makes no sense to me. Passing null for both the following 2 parameters also seems undocumented magic.

Nevertheless it works and I'm very grateful!

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.