Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gambleave
Helper II
Helper II

Iterating measure with SUMX

I cannot get a SUMX measure working for this scenario - would greatly appreciate advice:

I have a measure to count the number of distinct sales from a fact table:
Distinct Sales = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(InteractionHistory[Activity ID]), InteractionHistory[Interaction Type] = “Sale”)

Another measure to assess "high volume" status by returning a 1 for 5 or more sales, otherwise a 0.
Volume=if([Distinct Sales]>=5,1,0)

This fact table is connected to a dimension table summarizing employees and a dimension table summarizing customers - the relevant fields in this scenario are:

EmployeeTeams[Employee Name]
Customers[Company Name]

What is the correct formulation of a measure that I can use in a matrix, whereby Company Name displays in rows and the count of employees with "high volume" status (i.e. Volume = 1) displays as the value?

Additionally, how to write a measure that sums these values across all companies. Understand that I can just display the total, but I want to nest in a time intelligence function to chart as a benchmark over time.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gambleave , Try this measure, as it seems to work given the requirements you posted:

High Volume Employee Count = 
    SUMX(
        VALUES('InteractionHistory'[Employee Name]),
        IF([Distinct Sales] >=5, 1, 0)
    )

The test data I used was

Activity IDInteraction TypeEmployee NameCompany Name
1SaleEmp1Comp1
2SaleEmp2Comp2
3SaleEmp3Comp3
4SaleEmp3Comp3
5SaleEmp3Comp3
6SaleEmp3Comp3
7SaleEmp3Comp3
8SaleEmp4Comp4
9SaleEmp4Comp4
10SaleEmp4Comp4
11SaleEmp4Comp4
12SaleEmp4Comp4
13SaleEmp4Comp4
14SaleEmp5Comp4
15SaleEmp5Comp4
16SaleEmp5Comp4
17SaleEmp5Comp4
18SaleEmp5Comp4
19SaleEmp5Comp4
20SaleEmp5Comp4

This is the results in a simple Table visual:

EylesIT_0-1655309385455.png

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your help, yes it does seem to work as required 🙂 It seems that the Volume measure is written out here rather than just being referenced. I am wondering if the same approach would work to implement a SUMX for more complex measures (e.g. that nest measures referencing multiple tables in the model)?  Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gambleave You're right, the Volume measure could be used in the measure I created, like this:

High Volume Employee Count = 
    SUMX(
        VALUES('InteractionHistory'[Employee Name]),
        [Volume]
    )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.