Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JoseDavidM
Helper I
Helper I

Issue with report access

I have just published a very simple report (just sliders and tables) in a common used workspace; a lot of users that i already grant access to the report are reporting the following error. 

JoseDavidM_0-1620829317613.png

only users with pro licence can access the report.

As i mentioned before there are nothing special with the report (no add-ons no special visuals). looks like this

JoseDavidM_1-1620829438882.png

this are the access

JoseDavidM_2-1620829555910.png

even the last user (Julieth Delgado) cannot open the report.

heeeeeelllppppp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JoseDavidM 

Because you were not sharing the workspace, you were sharing the Report. Besides how were you sharing the report? Public URL?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi !

To be able to share reports within your Organizational users, Report Viewes also have a Power BI License if your report is published in Standard Capacity.

If your company has Power BI Embeded License and published your Report in decicated capacity / Premium Capacity, Report Viewers can view the report wihtout having Power BI Pro license.

Power BI Embeded / Premium Licensing option is not soo cheap & cost varies depending upon the region.

Regards,

Hasham

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @JoseDavidM 

The message is clear, only Users with pro license can access the report. Do users have a pro license

It doesn't matter what visuals you are sharing in the report

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thank you for the answer. why the same user can access other reports that are published in the same workspace?

@JoseDavidM 

Because you were not sharing the workspace, you were sharing the Report. Besides how were you sharing the report? Public URL?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Actually this help me, i was sharing the report in the wrong way

Hi !

Seems you need to share the workspace with users with Viewer role.

Regards,

Hasham

Like This

JoseDavidM_0-1620833296306.pngJoseDavidM_1-1620833321787.pngJoseDavidM_2-1620833341657.png

@JoseDavidM 

Yes this way you are not sharing the Workspace, you are sharing the report to people in your organization. Those people in your organization need at least a Pro license to see your report. Do those people have a License? 

If not then you will need a Premium capacity license for your workspace, which would cost much more money.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi !

The licensing reinformacment will enforce once you published those reports. Try publishing the report which user have access to now, and after publishing the report again user will not be able to see it without having Pro License.

Sorry, i got loss in translation. i didnt understand very well, do you mean that all my user will eventually loss access to all the reports because an issue with the organizational licence?

Hi !

The licnesing part is very simple, If you want to use a Power BI Report either as a Developer or End User, you will need Power BI (Pro) license if your reports are published into Standard Workspace (New Generation).

If you have some reports publsihed into Classical workspace (Legacy), users might still be able to acees it, it's justa  matter of time when reinforcement will place into these as well.

So you need to have a Power BI (Pro) license for each user. If you are a small / medium size enterprise.

As an alternate you can have 1 license of each department which can be shared between users.

Power BI Embeded / Premium Licensing options are for Large sclae enterprises.

Regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JoseDavidM , Can share the error in text format?

You can only share reports with the pro users. You will not be able to share the report with Non Pro users

Thak you for the answer. why the same user can access other reports that are published in the same workspace?. this is the error in text format

Para usar las características de Power BI Pro, actualice su licencia a la versión Pro. En su organización, el departamento de TI debe asignar las licencias de Power BI a los usuarios, de modo que tendrá que ponerse en contacto con dicho departamento para solicitar una licencia. Más información

Hi !

The error message is very self explainatory;

To use the Power BI Pro features, upgrade your license to the Pro version. In your organization, the IT department must assign Power BI licenses to users, so you will need to contact that department to request a license. license. More information

The reports that are accessible now will not be available in near future once you published them again.

Regards,

Hasham

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.