Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Helper I
Helper I

Issue sorting a column (Time constraint) on X-axis with multiple same text values/labels

Seeking help to have the highlited column sort on X-axis based on a switch between Month and quarters, the visual sorts as expected for Month Labels, however it won't for Quarter labels (hence the values are not unique to sort based on an other column) (unique Key on Fiscal Month Key),

I tried creating Index column or a sort column, however I'm running into error with multiple values for a unique value in an other column, or a circular dependency.

I'd be grateful for one of you can show me a direction into solving this. I have exhausted some previously provided solutions and hoping to see if they are any other means. Thanks so much in advance 

10168_0-1666369930792.png10168_1-1666369969771.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@10168 ,

Tried doing some quick research.  Came across the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLiqqIsk1CU

1st comment is this:

View solution in original post

@10168 ,

Your Column [Fiscal Quarter Year] is simply a text value.

So sorting alphanumerically,

FY19-20 Q1 comes before

FY19-20 Q2 etc..

Similarly,

FY19-20 comes before

FY20-21 which comes before

FY21-22.

So always better to have yyyy-mm in your axis rather than mm-yyyy.

Does this explain it?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
rsbin
Super User
Super User

@10168 ,

I recommend modifying your [Fiscal Quarter Label] to read Year then Quarter:

Fiscal Quarter Label

FY19-20 Q1
FY19-20 Q2
FY19-20 Q3
FY19-20 Q4
FY20-21 Q1
FY20-21 Q2
FY20-21 Q3
FY20-21 Q4

If you must display Quarter first, then use this new column as your SortOrder.

Regards,

Thank you ! that was great recommendation,  I see how switching would benefit me into sorting, The axis does sort when I sort axis in the visual by the Fiscal Quarter Label, and Asc, however it defaults back to previous based on the parameter selection, the parameter is too important for me as it lets my end user switch between the labels for Months and Quarters 

10168_0-1666372598619.png

10168_1-1666372655828.png

Do you have any recommendations to avoid that? Please and thank you !! 

@10168 ,

I've never used Parameters to change Axis.  Have always used Bookmarks to do this.  I would simply update my Bookmark. 

So I don't fully understand when you say "it defaults back to previous based on the parameter selection"?

I will look into Bookmark, thanks for that suggestion, the parameters is a new feature for me as well, I mean this below, goes back to how I would see without sorting  

10168_0-1666373373226.png

@10168 ,

Looks to me like the chart is sorting your "Multiplier" in Descending Order.

You should be able to click the elipsis in the top right corner of the visual and sort Axis in Ascending order.

Or please attach your pbix file and I can have a closer look.  Please scrub any sensitive data before doing so.

Yes it is, however I was able to click ellipses and change it, but when I unselect and select months and come back, and select Quarters again, it sorts by multiplier than axis, I wish it could remain as saved but it won't, a bookmark works but I am not knowledgable enough to know if I can throw the book mark onto the visual for my end user to click it 

@10168 ,

Tried doing some quick research.  Came across the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLiqqIsk1CU

1st comment is this:

You have opened my eyes to bookmarks and how worthless parameter labels are when it comes to sorting time axis. I appreciate your recommendations to me on this solution !! You truly are super user andsuper hero !! thanks 

@10168 ,

Glad I could help and appreciate the kind words!

Have fun with Buttons.  They will open up all sorts of opportunities.

Any chance can you explain me why I was able to sort after switching the labels [Fiscal Quarter Label] to read Year then Quarter

@10168 ,

Your Column [Fiscal Quarter Year] is simply a text value.

So sorting alphanumerically,

FY19-20 Q1 comes before

FY19-20 Q2 etc..

Similarly,

FY19-20 comes before

FY20-21 which comes before

FY21-22.

So always better to have yyyy-mm in your axis rather than mm-yyyy.

Does this explain it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.