Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattSG
Frequent Visitor

Is there a good way to add notes to a report?

I'm moving one of our reports from a byzantine mess of excel macros and ftp file management to power bi and apis, and I have it mostly sorted. One feature for this report that has been requested by my team is ability to add notes / comments.

Currently we run this report 2 times per day, and occasionally more during especially dynamic days (I could easily see 5-6 runs on such a day). If I use the power apps methodology that I've seen documented, for it to work well it appears to basically double the refreshes we would do to have the notes pop up on what people see (Run the report, talk about it, add notes, refresh to see the notes that have been added since it would pull from the sharepoint list or excel file the power app wrote to). We all have pro, but it may be possible to get premium for one or two of us.

Using the native comments may work, but I'm foggy on how it would work with exporting the data for records. I think the best solution I'm seeing so far is using the native comments, then exporting a pdf to retain a record that is searchable. But then the comments are capped at 2,000, and yesterdays notes would show when the data was refreshed for todays report which could be confusing.

Anyone have better ideas?

People other than myself present the report to the group, and it's best to not have other people go into the report and edit it, rather I just want them to run it via the service on the web. I want it to be a system that less savvy pbi people can use and not risk screwing up the report.  I haven't seen a new thread about this in 4 years, so figured there may be better options now.

2 REPLIES 2
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

Once deployed to Power BI Service, there is a comment button available to viewers to enter notes.

Add comments to dashboards and reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

CommentsInService.png

Yeah, I had mentioned that as seeming like the best option. It appears that the comments alone can't be exported, and there is a cap of 2000 comments. I also don't love the confusion that may arise from yesterdays comments, or a week agos comments showing up when we're dealing with a report that is basically a refresh with new data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.