Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

M-Beans
Regular Visitor

Is it possible to use a line or bar chart that can switch between data types by using a slicer?

Hello,

I'm trying to build a a visual that can represent:

10 Manufacturing plants

Each have their own Uptime, Capacity utilization, and Plant availability measurements

3 historical years and the current year

I would like the visual to be able to use 1 Line chart or 1 bar chart and have the ability to toggle between

Uptime, capacity utilization, and plant availability.

I currently have a chart that only has uptime, all 10 plants data, and slicers for each plant and year.  

I have 1 data table for each plant that defines all 3 of those measurements by date ( 10 data tables)

I have a :

plant site table 

Calendar data table

So I can slice by year or plant.  

How do I create the ability to use that single visiual to toggle between Uptime, capacity utilization, and plant availability? 

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@M-Beans I think you are using it differently. Assuming you have three different measures that you want to switch based on the selection.

Create a field parameter and add these 3 measures in the field parameter. Use this field parameter on value and also create a slicer from this field parameter. Based on the selection the visual will change.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are suggesting to do.

I created the field parameter but it's for several plants so I end up with 49 boxes in the fields parameter slicer panel ( a third of them are Uptime for each plant, then capacity utilization for each plant, and Plant availability).  Is there a way for me to configure my data so I can have a slicer panel for :

1) Plant site (with the plant names) - Already created this with a normal slicer

2) Year - Already created this with a normal slicer

3) Uptime, Capacity Utilization, Plant availability ( tried to create this with field parameter by selecting the associated metric for each plant,  I end up with 49 boxes in the fields parameter slicer and no data is populating in the visual when I put this field parameter in the Y Axis, and Date in the X Axis)

MBeans_0-1714767208493.png

MBeans_1-1714767421110.pngMBeans_2-1714767562650.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@M-Beans there are many way you can achieve this, easier and faster is to use field parameters. check this out this video to get started on field parameters.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRXKZR7-bU&feature=youtu.be

Full playlist is available here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiYSIjh4cEx0_DeQ96QmR1kkgF0WPQscB

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi parry2k,

Thanks for the reply. 

I watched the video and attempted to try it but it's not working for me.

I need the Y-axis to toggle between Uptime, Capacity Utilization or Plant availability %, by date which is on the X-axis.    When I created the Field Parameter for all plants I end up with 49 boxes to choose from and no display on the Line chart (the field parameter was put in the Y-axis for the visual): 

MBeans_0-1714752130906.png

Any suggestions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.