Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

verinalobo
Regular Visitor

I need 3 separate slicers to work hierarchically

Hello,

I am trying to use slicers. Rather than using 1 hierarchical slicer, I want 3 separate slicers that will apply to my report. The 3 filters depend on each other. i.e. you first select Slicer 1 - AUT, then Slicer 2 - Env, then Silcer 3- Date from the Summary table below.

If you select an option in Slicer 1, only the options pertaining to the selection in Slicer 1 should be shown. Similarly, if you select an option in Slicer 2, only those pertaining should show in Slicer 3.

The data in Summary table looks like this:

Summary:

RunID

AUT

Env

Date

Summary

ValueXYZ

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

Lorem ipsum dolor

CRM

QA

02-Aug-23

tempor incididunt ut labore

CRM

DEV

03-Aug-23

Lorem ipsum dolor

CRM

QA

05-Aug-23

cillum dolore eu fugiat

CRM

QA

10-Aug-23

quis nostrud exercitation

OMS

DEV

11-Aug-23

officia deserunt

In addition to this Summary table, I have many other tables in my report with main relationship between them being RunID. Examples of the tables:

Transactions

RunID

AUT

Env

Date

Transaction

Pass

Fail

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

Login

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

Search

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

Order

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

Logout

CRM

QA

02-Aug-23

Login

CRM

QA

02-Aug-34

Logout

…etc

CRM

Nodes

RunID

AUT

Env

Date

Node

Time

Value

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

A1

10:00

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

A1

10:01

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

B1

10:00

CRM

DEV

01-Aug-23

B1

10:01

CRM

QA

02-Aug-23

A1

11:00

CRM

QA

02-Aug-34

B1

11:01

…etc

CRM

The tables are more complex than this and have many rows of data. There are more tables and they all have common columns RunID, AUT, Env, Date. Merging all this data into a single table is hard as they come from different sources and have many columns and rows.

Now the issue is, when I use 3 slicers in my report and make selections in these slicers, the selections get applied to all 3 slicers rather than hierarchically. I am trying to understand how I can get 3 slicers to work hierarchically. I believe my data is not modelled well enough and my knowledge in PowerBi is basic. But I am trying to figure a solution where I can get the slicers to work as expected without having to remodel my data – if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @verinalobo ,

Based on your description, it seems that the issue lies in the data model and the relationships between the tables. To achieve the desired hierarchical behavior of the slicers, you will need to make sure that the relationships between the tables are set up correctly. Here's an action plan to help you resolve this issue:

Check the relationships: Verify that the relationships between the tables are correctly defined. Make sure that the columns used for the relationships (such as RunID, AUT, Env, Date) have the same data type and values in all the tables. Make sure that the filtering direction for the relationship is correct. If it is incorrect, for example, the filter of table A and table B flows from table B to table A, then you use the fields of table A as a slicer to select, which will not affect the results of table B.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

verinalobo
Regular Visitor

I tried this, but I cannot get it to work for me. I don't know if I am doing something wrong...

I created a measure:

Filter Slicers = COUNTROWS (Summary)

I added the measure to the filter pane for each slicer and set the value to greater or equals to 1. 

Did I do this correctly?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

If all three columns you use to segment come from the same table, they'll filter each other. That's the way Power BI works by default, and you can't change it.

If the columns come from different tables and you want them to be filtered when you select a value in one of the filters, you must apply a filter from the filter panel using a measure that indicates that its result is not blank.

For example:

filter measure = CountRows(Table)

Apply the measure in the filter pane of the segmenter and tell it not to be blank in the filter.

@Syndicate_Admin Yes, the 3 are from the same table. That's probably why. Thank you!

marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @verinalobo ,

Take a look in this link: Solved: Power BI One Slicer to filter other slicers - Microsoft Fabric Community

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.