Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to working With Masked Data but Publish it with unmasked version

Hello all,

My Company has some Confidential Data and we are Masking the data from sql. They want me to develop the report to the app with unmasked version but they dont want me to see their unmasked data. I am able work with the masked data  but cant managed to update it to unmasked version. 

I'm really stuck here. Anyone have any ideas? 

Thank you for your time.

9 REPLIES 9
mostvp123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Anyone had any luck with this? Encountering the same issue. Company wants us to build reports with confidential HR data in PBI desktop with masked data, but still be able to publish and maintain the reports in the Service without the developers being able to see the real HR data. However end user (HR) need to be able to see the unmasked data in the service. To be clear this is not something that can be solved with RLS. We also can't use direct query for performance reasons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I have the same issue.. have you found any solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your respond but the method you adviced is not for me:(

Because when i need to mask or setup RLS in power bi Desktop, I can see the original data in power bi before the masking. I need to do the development of "masked" data and publish it to app and the app will contain "unmasked" version of my development.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

it sounds like your company wants to deploy the Row Level Security RLS.

if so here is how

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

with row level security Can I develop the masked data to unmasked data?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not sure what do you mean by that. With RLS you can allow access to users to their respective data, users will only see their own data.

If you are refering to Hiding pages or visuals then it's a different work to be done.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Data is Masked by the source.

When i need to mask or setup RLS in power bi Desktop, I can see the original data in power bi before the masking. I need to do the development of "masked" data and publish it to app and the app will contain "unmasked" version of my development.

Hi  @Anonymous ,

How about creating a RLS rule in the data source,then grant you as a viewer role?

Check the reference below:

https://radacad.com/row-level-security-with-ssas-tabular-live-connection-in-power-bi

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.