Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

takui12
Frequent Visitor

How to setup file online with incremental refresh?

Hi guys...just asking but...is possible to publish works online (company space) with incremental updates scheduded? I mean, I was following guides here and there, setupped parameters (start and end), I've also changed tables to directquery (which I'm not sure if it was required or not), but when I've published them, the file got disconnected and I don't understand how to connect it again/make it simple refresh its data for example, 1 time per day, automatically...is possible? If yes, how? Sorry I know it's a totally noob question but I'm quite stucked...from the service it let me download a personal gateway version but I don't wan to depend on something installed on my pc, files should become available to everyone has the access...

thank you guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @takui12 ,

First, setting up a gateway is necessary for Power BI to connect to on-premises data sources and refresh the dataset since the data sources are Excel and SQL. Both of them are on-premises data source. Even if you refresh manually in Power BI Desktop, when you publish the report to the Power BI Service, you’ll need a gateway for the service to refresh the data.

Install And Configure Data Gateway For On-Premise Excel Files In Power BI (c-sharpcorner.com)

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To make the reports available for everyone without tying to a single personal computer, you can use the Power BI service. You can share reports and dashboards from your workspace in the Power BI service with people inside or outside your organization. They can view and interact with the shared content but can’t edit it. Another option is to use the Publish to web feature, which allows everyone who has the link or embed code of the report to view the report with no restriction.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Upon reviewing your requirements, it appears that you are seeking to establish an incremental refresh for your SQL data source. However, it has come to my attention that you have transitioned to a DirectQuery connection mode. It’s important to note that DirectQuery mode retrieves the most recent data updates as queries are processed. Therefore, it is not necessary to set up an incremental refresh after you switch the connection mode of SQL data source to Direct Query... 

Solved: Re: Incremental refresh for Direct Query - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @takui12 ,

In order to get a better understanding on your problem, could you please provide the following info?

1. What data source you connect to create the report?

2. Which connection mode you used to connect the data source? Direct Query?  If it is with Direct Query connection mode, when the user consume the report, it will send the queries to the underlying data source and get the latest data. Please find the details in this official documentation.

3. Incremental refresh:

Incremental refresh for semantic models and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI Incremental Refresh: What Is It and How to Use it 

Power BI incremental refresh is a process that allows users to refresh data progressively instead of doing a complete data refresh every time. It can significantly speed up data refreshing and reduce the amount of data that has to be transferred between Power BI and the data source.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rena, my sources are a mix of excel and SQL, but basically I want to incremental update data from SQL... I've switched to direct query because reading documents it looks to me that it should be direct query, I'm wrong? Think is, when I upload it online, it says "disconnected from data source"... Do i need to setup some kind of gateway as I've read somewhere in the options? Asking this because it doesn't need it when I refresh manually so it surprised me...the local gateway for me isn't a solution because I want to make the reports available for everyone, so it should be not tied to a single personal computer...thank you 

Hi @takui12 ,

First, setting up a gateway is necessary for Power BI to connect to on-premises data sources and refresh the dataset since the data sources are Excel and SQL. Both of them are on-premises data source. Even if you refresh manually in Power BI Desktop, when you publish the report to the Power BI Service, you’ll need a gateway for the service to refresh the data.

Install And Configure Data Gateway For On-Premise Excel Files In Power BI (c-sharpcorner.com)

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To make the reports available for everyone without tying to a single personal computer, you can use the Power BI service. You can share reports and dashboards from your workspace in the Power BI service with people inside or outside your organization. They can view and interact with the shared content but can’t edit it. Another option is to use the Publish to web feature, which allows everyone who has the link or embed code of the report to view the report with no restriction.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Upon reviewing your requirements, it appears that you are seeking to establish an incremental refresh for your SQL data source. However, it has come to my attention that you have transitioned to a DirectQuery connection mode. It’s important to note that DirectQuery mode retrieves the most recent data updates as queries are processed. Therefore, it is not necessary to set up an incremental refresh after you switch the connection mode of SQL data source to Direct Query... 

Solved: Re: Incremental refresh for Direct Query - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.