Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mawh
Regular Visitor

How to quantize (group/reduce precision of) a date from a SQLServer direct query?

I've installed PowerBI and conencted it to my SQLserver in direct mode rather than import mode. I note that in direct mode the date fields in my table (which truly are dates) do not have a calendar icon next to them in PBI, and when added to a report they don't show any options for e.g. removing Quarter, Day etc from them

mawh_0-1661270349073.png

If this data was brought in via Import, then the date under the "Columns" header has a breakdown of year, quarter, month, day etc, and we can e.g. delete Day to group the data up by month

How do we achieve similar to e.g. strip the time and day off and just have data by year/month in direct mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mawh
Regular Visitor
4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mawh I will start with video 1 in that playlist Learn basics of Time Intelligence DAX functions - Part 1 - YouTube

It is in order part 1, part 2, part 3 and so on.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mawh although you found the solution but one piece of advice, never use an in-built date hierarchy, it is against best practice, to develop a scalable solution, always use a common calendar dimension that will enhance the use of DAX time intelligence functions. To learn more, you can check my playlist on time intelligence and the importance of the date table here https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiYSIjh4cEx2FkuGkngYruS0wm8MYFsoi

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks parry; there are a lot of videos there though. If I had to start with just one, which would it be?

mawh
Regular Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.